Shim washer’s

Swede

Gold Trader
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
I recently fitted an SKF BB to my freshly painted Surly and it came with a shim washer which I’m assuming is to prevent the cup tool from buggering up the paint. I like this idea but do any of you know if you can buy these separately? Annoying I didn’t think to take any measurements before I fitted it and I can’t be bothered to take it out so I’m guesstimating it at 38x35x0.7mm EF0D7123-BCF2-486A-90A8-F00D102A41E0.jpeg

Not sure about where to get one, but my pure conjecture says these were common enough back then that you can bring this up with an old bike shop owner and they will know what you're talking about. I had one with my 1992 Trek 9900 OCLV which I assumed was to keep the sensitive lip of the bottom bracket shell from being cracked by over tightening. My other assumption is that at the very least, Trek sent out tons of bikes with these installed. Whatever the measurements were, the washer integrated nice and tight with the XTR m900 bottom bracket. Thickness was around 0.1 - 0.2 mm and was stainless steel.

The picture associated with that link is totally inaccurate to the stated thickness. On first glance is a bit misleading.

Here is my old Trek with the shim. I never took a photo of the actual shim, so this is as good as I can provide:

The inner diameter matches the nominal thread outer diameter of the bottom bracket cups, but the outer diameter of the shim is slightly larger than the outer diameter of the bottom bracket lock rings. Thickness definitely wasn't more than 0.5 (buuuuut I also didn't measure the thickness with a caliper). I remember it being very very thin, and was also steal.
3O1F4251.JPG

Yeah, Shimano freehub a and BSA BB’s are the same diameter.

You could look for Gates belt drive spacing shims. They come with belt drive setups to dial in the belt line perfectly. They may be cheaper or your LBS may have some left over if they have fitted a belt setup lately.

Back