Shark fins, why bother?

Re:

I remember a couple of cases of getting the chain between the tyre and chainstay and coming to an abrupt halt shaving grams of paint and steel chips from the stay. Did not enjoy either of them. :(

This was of course some 25 years ago, so it could've been someone else's story! :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

T'boo Ted":us1vhny1 said:
Mike Muz 67":us1vhny1 said:
I see,

I normally use a length of insulating tape, or for winter months, some old inner tube cable tied to the chainstay

Yes but back in ye oldie days, no one had invented that, we all used shark fins for the slap and derailment issues... then later someone invented chain stay wraps (probably lizard skins)...then we all realised you could just wrap it in elecrical tape/tubes...
One looks quite good but is fidly, and $, one cost $$$ and looks average, one cost $0 and looks crap...

I wrapped chainstays in insulating tape from way back when... I had one of those shitty stick on shark fins on my very first bike and it fell off quickly. obviously the rather expensive xt sharkfins had zip ties...

i'd say that it had something to do with u brakes as they both died out around the same time.

Latest posts

Back