Wanted Set of 1920s or 1930s British lightweight hubs

Many thanks, might be interested! Would you know whether these would be period correct for the 1930s? Did Chater-Lea make alloy hubs before the war?
Really, it was just the fact that you referred to Chater-Lea as making hubs from this era that gave me the idea that my ones could be or the 20s/30s eras, I don't have much knowledge in this area myself. Although I believe that alloy parts (and stuff in general) became more popular following the war years, although I could be wrong. I also have a wheel with a BSA hub and possibly other separate hubs that could very well be 20s/30s eras, but it seems like you're after matching pairs, and also you'd need to find out if my hubs are old enough as (again) I only have a vague idea myself.

This resilion measures 95mm, 32h, could look quite good with a cleanView attachment 844031
And "matching" rear, 40h fixed/free, currently set at 126 3/8 but could do 110 no probs. flanges are good but the axle tube chrome is worn. View attachment 844032
There's a double fixed bayliss wiley 110 in there too, although the alloy flanges put it at late 40sView attachment 844033
Hi, many thanks for digging those out. I'm not sure whether these would be right for the 1930s though? When I think of Resilion in the 1930s, I think of their early cantilever brakes!

Really, it was just the fact that you referred to Chater-Lea as making hubs from this era that gave me the idea that my ones could be or the 20s/30s eras, I don't have much knowledge in this area myself. Although I believe that alloy parts (and stuff in general) became more popular following the war years, although I could be wrong. I also have a wheel with a BSA hub and possibly other separate hubs that could very well be 20s/30s eras, but it seems like you're after matching pairs, and also you'd need to find out if my hubs are old enough as (again) I only have a vague idea myself.
I'm afraid I'm not an expert on hubs from this era either. But, yes, alloy hubs are something I would associate with the post-war era too. Many thanks for your help. I think the lightweight BSA hubs from the 1930s would look something like this:

Attachments

• BSA Hub3.jpg
    BSA Hub3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, I guess there's a good chance the alloy hubs would be too modern. As for the BSA rear hub in your pics, I can't recall if the one I have looks exactly the same but it's certainly similar (but I suppose there will be similarities between 30s/40s/50s steel hubs though). You didn't respond to my comment on whether single hubs were off-putting for you instead of matching pairs, but the fact that you're willing to buy complete wheels suggests you're quite flexible and you could go down this route. If that's the case I'd be willing to retrieve the wheel I have from storage and get you a few pics. I would already have done so except that the wheel's in long term storage in an out of town lockup I have, and also I don't get down there too often because of not having the time to spare, but let me know and I'll make an effort to get down there over the next week or so.

Back