Servicing an SPD Pedal

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, so I got a pair of PD-M747 pedals off of ebay for £8 delivered and, though relatively functional, they could do with a good service and overhaul. I have no experience of SPD servicing and the Park Tool website seems to suggest that several specific tools are required:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... l-overhaul

Has anyone else serviced their SPD's? Are there any obvious pit falls to avoid?

Any help will be greatfully received ;)

Dan

Fiddly little critters, watch out for the loose ball bearings...but the only special tool required IIRC is the splined tool to unscrew the axle from the pedal body: Shimano Pt No 42A 0900
31011950.jpg

I can lend you mine. :D
The axles have L & R hand threads into the pedal body, Can't remember which way round...I'll have a look when I get home.

Exploded diagram :
PD-M747_1995.gif

You won't need the special Shimano TL-PD63 tool, just 7mm and a thin 10mm spanner, as the bearing adjustment nuts aren't recessed on the M747 axle. Soft jaws on the vice would be a good idea, so as not to damage the pedal threads (or mount the axles in a set of cranks instead).

All the best,

Excellent advice, thank you very much! I have actually had a little tinker at my desk (I collected them from the post office on the way to work!) and I can unscrew the plastic bits and remove the axles by hand! I dont see why it should be any tighter than that but, if I run into issues, I may have to borrow that tool from you! Postage would be covered for you of course, and some beer chits too should the need arise :cool:

I had also seen that diagram in another thread on here which is really useful. I thought the bearings might get a bit 'free-running'! :roll:

dan....dont pull them apart unless you really need to!....this is only required to replace bearings or sort out any play....remove the axle, put some grease in the pedal body and screw the axle back in....this will push new grease through and purge the old out of the end by the rubber seal....dead easy and real quick too.... :D ....i too can post you the tool if required....

feetabix":1b28xvdt said:
dan....dont pull them apart unless you really need to!....this is only required to replace bearings or sort out any play....remove the axle, put some grease in the pedal body and screw the axle back in....this will push new grease through and purge the old out of the end by the rubber seal....dead easy and real quick too.... :D ....i too can post you the tool if required....

this is a really good tip! i never think laterally like this :LOL:

i just greased mine per above, magic! they are spinning smooth as can be now, thanks!

the 'pop' of old grease though the end as you screw the axle back into the body is somewhat carthartic! ... :shock:... :LOL:

okayi'll get my coat now..

merckx":29f4xux8 said:
feetabix":29f4xux8 said:

this is a really good tip! i never think laterally like this :LOL:

i just greased mine per above, magic! they are spinning smooth as can be now, thanks!

the 'pop' of old grease though the end as you screw the axle back into the body is somewhat carthartic! ... :shock:... :LOL:

okayi'll get my coat now..

:LOL: .....yeah, they all do that!.....i cant take the credit for coming up with the idea, but it does work brilliantly......

Cheers guys! One of them does have some play and the bearings feel a bit rough, other seems fine and could just use a little fresh grease. What I will do then is nip up the pedal with play and purge the grease through both.

I am an incurable meddler though, so promise nothing! For £8, I wont be out of pocket by that much if it goes horribly wrong!!

Perfect! Those guides are ideal, thank you very much! They make it look very easy so will probably end up giving them a full overhaul and fresh bearings anyway. I just have to tinker with things :roll:

Screws all want replacing in the plates to as they are rusted and mullered, but got a great shop for that that sells individuals for trades and random fixings. Then I might rub back the bits of rust, but just want them working smoothly.

mine had [very slight] play generating from the plastic sleeve bush and axle interface.

I left the bearing nuts set as is, the actual bearing was running very well.

When I pumped new grease into them, and then reassembled, the play seems to have disappeared from the bush, so that's TOPS![/i]

Back