Second hand wheels - am I expecting too much?

I've picked up a bargain set of retro wheels for my Eroica build project, but similar, but in no way as bad, ive got some rusted spoke eyelets inside. I've googled "Holts cure rust" but nothing is coming back..... are there other brands or types?

TT

turkeytickler":372txl4t said:
I've picked up a bargain set of retro wheels for my Eroica build project, but similar, but in no way as bad, ive got some rusted spoke eyelets inside. I've googled "Holts cure rust" but nothing is coming back..... are there other brands or types?

TT

If you take off the rim tape and spray with plusgas, then leave and brush off with a small wire brush, aluminium foil and vinegar for stubborn parts, then Autosol.
Here's my Mavic sprints before and after

Attachments

• Molinari Web - 6.jpg
    Molinari Web - 6.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Molinari Web - 8.jpg
    Molinari Web - 8.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 254
Re:

@turkeytickler:
You might have more success from googling 'kurust' rather than 'cure rust'- it seems to be a Hammerite product.

Sometime this summer I dug out all the loose rust from 72 Mavic eyelets, 'kurusted', primed, and painted each one individually with a little brush. The spoke nipples doubtless chewed through the whole lot when I rebuilt the wheels, and I'll be back where I started by the time I next remove the rim tape. With that in mind I'm steeling myself to tackle the remaining 72 eyelets in my care. Luckily none of mine were as far gone as daccordimark's.

Back