Schwinn

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
A company everyones heard of, they've been at it for a while :cool:

I picked up at the bin a Schwinn modern frame, fork and mechs. Schwinn Adventurer, with a bottom of the range rst fork. nothing fancy, but my intention was to strip it right down, give it a clean and donate it to a fav bike charity, along with the cleaned bits.

The basic fork was toast, and despite much ado, i couldnt shift the wedge and so took off the fork in the modern fettlers manner - 240v angle grinder :D

What I found with this and the subject of this post was the design of the frame.
Made little sense in that it was modern design alloy, with a taper headtube and gusset, but with a reducer headset for straight 1 1/8" with this inset headset for threaded forks. Crazy. Modern fork and seemingly going to extra lengths to made things fit. Have they a glut of tapered headtubes :?
No disc mount. Modern bike, modern sloping style no standard disc mount despite the very modern headtube arrangement. The bike is a leisure/commuter type.

I wonder the background of their designers, are they product designers or something. Its just its designed using some components, but not putting their benefits to use, for which they need to almost design it back to what it would be like if they welded on a straight headtube instead of a tapered one. and then saving money by not including a disc mount, though theyre building it all from scratch.

This is actually the 2nd time ive found modern Schwinn designs to be ill conceived.
The first time was a cruiser type with the fat fake tank, into which they had set a cup holder. (Cant mind the actual model)

A cup holder.
In an accident its likely youre thrown forward and if youve got a cup of coffee in there it could be skin grafts to your delicate bits :shock:
Worse still is many of these cruisers and that genre of you will of rider might include a bottle opener fitted to their cruiser.
So you have the chance of someone putting a bottle of beer or health drink in a glass bottle in this holder designed for such things.
Again an accident, running into the back of someone, etc, thrown forward and castrated on the broken bottle, or scalded.
Again, ill conceived.

Anyone else come across ill conceived designs clearly from people who've never ridden a bike, or do so for their current employment.

Most likely it will be a frame that covers multiple models, so the lower ones have a basic non taper fork but at least its something upgradable with some decent forks. Although unfortunately, Shwinn are probably not making 'that' sort of bike any more.

Back