Schwinn High Sierra - need some guidance :-)

markoneswift

Dirt Disciple
Hey all,

I made a brief foray into these forums a while back after I picked up a Specialized Epic Carbon Comp. Due to circumstances at the time, I had to let that go and focus on other things for a while.

I'm now looking at possibly cycling to work as my employer is moving my base into the city CBD and there won't be any staff parking. To this end, and because I have some kind of perversion for rusty old objects, I picked up a Schwinn High Sierra MTB today at the city dump for 30 quid. I say quid because I don't have a pound sign on my keyboard - I'm a Yorkshireman living down under in New Zealand. I have an American bike, in NZ, on which to park my ex-pat bum :)

The bike is complete but a bit tired looking. It has all original Shimano Deore drivetrain along with the Biopace crankset, Suntour roller cam brakes and Dia Compe levers. The main issue I'm going to face is painting the frame, because the original 'black chrome' is very sad, and replacing the Deore shifters because they are both broken.

I'll put up some pictures soon but it seems the ones I took today are too big :-(

There's a lot of polishing to be done, mainly because I want this thing to shine like a pin once I've got the replacement parts on it. I'm looking for guidance, help pf any form (because I'm totally new to this hobby) and just general encouragement. Cheers all :)

Re:

welcome to the madness, for once you've completed one ... you'll want to do more ...

I think one slight concern I have is the frame size vs my size. The seat tube is 20" top to centre and my Giant ATX is 22". The Schwinn seems like it will fit me but at 6" 3' I'm wondering if I can either increase the seat post length, fit straight bars or maybe do both. Is there anything inherent bad about riding a slightly too small frame, other than it might look a bit odd?

Graham_hkr":13q1n5i0 said:
markoneswift":13q1n5i0 said:
I'll put up some pictures soon but it seems the ones I took today are too big :-(

Always good to have another Yorkshireman in the mix... ;)

This is quite simple for resizing pics if you're running windows or windaz as we call it!
https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/ :cool:

Thanks for that mate, will check it out. I see you're a Hull man - I'm from Wakefield / Pontefract so not too far off :)

markoneswift":203t8d0f said:
Thanks for that mate, will check it out. I see you're a Hull man - I'm from Wakefield / Pontefract so not too far off :)
Only an hour down the road mate, I work in Wakey occasionally.. ;)

Graham_hkr":3ucs6oaf said:
markoneswift":3ucs6oaf said:
Only an hour down the road mate, I work in Wakey occasionally.. ;)

Heh heh, not quite 'down the road' now though - unless that road went half way round the planet :)

That looks like a great project, especially with the roller cams. Definitely a good purchase for that money.

markoneswift":bh1zt066 said:
I think one slight concern I have is the frame size vs my size. The seat tube is 20" top to centre and my Giant ATX is 22". The Schwinn seems like it will fit me but at 6" 3' I'm wondering if I can either increase the seat post length, fit straight bars or maybe do both. Is there anything inherent bad about riding a slightly too small frame, other than it might look a bit odd?

It really comes down to personal preference, in my opinion. I'm a similar height and my bikes range from about 18" C-T to 23" C-T seat tubes. The main concern is your preferred riding position and how comfortable you find it.

If I was using that bike as a commuter (which I could happily do if you want to post it around the world to me :LOL: ) I would begin by using a longer seat post to make it high enough and see how the ride position felt before changing anything else. Usually, my preference is for lower, flat bars for a more aggressive riding position, as I feel quite comfortable with my weight distribution shifted forward, with more on my arms, but I can also see the benefit of the higher front you get from that stem and bars for commuting - it depends whether your commute will be more of a headlong dash or a more considered scything between obstacles.

Whether it looks odd is a matter of personal taste.

5FgjFPIw4ZJGBxp2HlLYQp-_pMNvEC-izz54M5WbwsHtyFlcXfa2-RaObL8kkl7RtsenB0_t=w1067-h800-no

Back