SBDU (Denton Cycles) 753R 1984 with 50th Anniversary Group

Difficult to value. There is definitely a ceiling on retro bikes. If I had the spare cash, id probably have a punt at £1750 but £3k is way too rich for me - and you've still got to find a freewheel :roll:

I usually value 80s and 90s period bikes by the frame, as 80s and 90s Shimano/Campag parts are east to get, it is the frame that typically holds the value for me. This bike is different as these parts aren't that easy to get, the frame and parts both have value

You are looking at a limited set of Anniversary groups, I think I've read that there were 15,000 groups made, I wouldn't even like to try to put a figure on how many standard SR groups were produced.

So either way you look at this bike, you have an excellent frame and excellent group, both with a significant value. An SBDU 753 frame and a 50th Anniversary SR group.

However, a few parts do let it down, and it definately looks more used than the seller implies

originalshinkicker":2jbt4v7j said:
I usually value 80s and 90s period bikes by the frame, as 80s and 90s Shimano/Campag parts are east to get, it is the frame that typically holds the value for me. This bike is different as these parts aren't that easy to get, the frame and parts both have value

You are looking at a limited set of Anniversary groups, I think I've read that there were 15,000 groups made, I wouldn't even like to try to put a figure on how many standard SR groups were produced.

So either way you look at this bike, you have an excellent frame and excellent group, both with a significant value. An SBDU 753 frame and a 50th Anniversary SR group.

However, a few parts do let it down, and it definately looks more used than the seller implies

where would you value it? I'm basing mine on £750 for the frame and a grand for a well used but incomplete 50th anniversary groupset

There is lots of dirt on the group but the parts that should show wear don't actually show any wear. I think this is a bike that has had lots of grime and dirt stick to the oil and grease on the parts during years of storage.

It doesn't look like any wear on the rear derailleur wheels, doesn't look like much wear, if any on chain rings, chain actually looks really clean. The brake levers (not the hoods, which have just deteriorated) look unmarked, as do the ends of the pedal cages - these 2 areas will normally suffer from scratches. There doesn't seem to be many marks in the inner plates of the front derailleur. There doesn't appear to be much corrosion on the chrome fastenings that typically affect these parts. All the cables look original but have been used as the adjusters are wound up. Wheel QRs look unmarked

It is 100% a bike that has been used, but it hasn't had lots of use and it isn't the 'un-ridden new' bike that the seller seems to be saying. This bike would cleanup into an awesome example.

If I was selling this bike, I would have put much more effort into cleaning and presenting the bike to achieve as much as possible. The poor images don't help either, some full shots of the bike would have been good.

The only part of the group that isn't visible on the pictures is the seat pin.

So I wouldn't say it was well used and incomplete - what items do you think are missing?

originalshinkicker":9nj2m2v7 said:
There is lots of dirt on the group but the parts that should show wear don't actually show any wear. I think this is a bike that has had lots of grime and dirt stick to the oil and grease on the parts during years of storage.

It doesn't look like any wear on the rear derailleur wheels, doesn't look like much wear, if any on chain rings, chain actually looks really clean. The brake levers (not the hoods, which have just deteriorated) look unmarked, as do the ends of the pedal cages - these 2 areas will normally suffer from scratches. There doesn't seem to be many marks in the inner plates of the front derailleur. There doesn't appear to be much corrosion on the chrome fastenings that typically affect these parts. All the cables look original but have been used as the adjusters are wound up. Wheel QRs look unmarked

It is 100% a bike that has been used, but it hasn't had lots of use and it isn't the 'un-ridden new' bike that the seller seems to be saying. This bike would cleanup into an awesome example.

If I was selling this bike, I would have put much more effort into cleaning and presenting the bike to achieve as much as possible. The poor images don't help either, some full shots of the bike would have been good.

The only part of the group that isn't visible on the pictures is the seat pin.

So I wouldn't say it was well used and incomplete - what items do you think are missing?

Assuming the seatpin is right, probably just the freewheel. I needs standing in front of to be fair. On the face of it, it looks straight enough and I'm assuming that its an original matching groupset. I may have a chat with him as I have a trip to Aberdeen planned for Sunday

I know but IIRC didn't Campag release a SR freewheel at the same time that dealers sold with them?

Campag already had a freewheel from the early 80s, don't know if it slotted into a particualr group, it was just a Campagnolo freewheel from what I remember, but I think most stuck with Maillard, Regina etc - Mine has a Maillard Compact fitted

Re:

this is the one I was thinking about

Attachments

• campag.jpg
    campag.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 544
Back