Saracen Tufftrax £50 - its mahoosive!

The seat tube is longer than the diameter of the wheels so it looks out of proportion. Obviously, this is the real reason for the development of 29-ers: not the marketing bull about rollover, etc.—it's so that ordinary folk don't have to look at the butt-ugly 26-ers of taller folk. ;)

[Sorry, tall people.]

It just suffers from the horizontal top tube issue. With a dropped top tube it would be more in proportion.....but that was the style in those days.

I had one in 87....great bikes.....enjoy.

Good man, welcome to retrobike. Any upgrades or changes planned?
Hey, thanks! I dont know much about bike builds but i am not keen on the 3x6 groupset so was thinking about changing this for a newer one if i can find one second hand. From what i was reading i would also need to change the rear wheel for this. I also want to change to a comfier saddle and probably the tyres at some point. Im not sure if its worth it with this bike though... what do you think?

Hey, thanks! I dont know much about bike builds but i am not keen on the 3x6 groupset so was thinking about changing this for a newer one if i can find one second hand. From what i was reading i would also need to change the rear wheel for this. I also want to change to a comfier saddle and probably the tyres at some point. Im not sure if it’s worth it with this bike though... what do you think?
Dipping a toe into bike builds is a slippery slope on here my friend. I’d ride it and see before changing anything.

That said, a decent set of tyres and a better saddle will be the best way to get miles of smiles out of this beast! The for sale forum is really good for sourcing parts.

Changing the cassette/freewheel will require different tools and an element of know-how but may not require a new wheel. There’s plenty of useful information here on the grubby mechanicals if you wish to go down that route.

Either way, it’s good to have another retrobiker here. Post pics if you’ve been out on a ride or ask questions if you need help. It’s a great community for that.

Hey, thanks! I dont know much about bike builds but i am not keen on the 3x6 groupset so was thinking about changing this for a newer one if i can find one second hand. From what i was reading i would also need to change the rear wheel for this. I also want to change to a comfier saddle and probably the tyres at some point. Im not sure if its worth it with this bike though... what do you think?
Whether it's worth it or not is very much an individual choice and depends on how much you enjoy riding the bike, how much use you will get out of it, and how much difference the upgrade will make to that. Do a few test rides to see if it's likely to be worth it. If you do start changing things, keep the original parts somewhere safe so that you can restore it to its original state if you ever want to, e.g. for selling on.

As for wheels, usually a 7 speed cassette will fit on a 6 speed free hub, but if you want to go higher than that, a replacement wheel with a free hub that will take 8 or 9 speed is the easiest way forward. Saddle: just get one you're happy with; it can always be transferred to another bike if you don't get on with this one. Tyres: the same, unless you never have another 26" wheeled bike again.

Of course, if you really don't get on with the bike, you could always use the frame to make a funky garden gate. ;) Bike Gate.jpg

Back