Saracen Kili Ultra Titanium - 1994

Looks to have a lot of potential Giles. The natural titanium and purple ano work very well together.
Looking forward to seeing some more pictures as the build continues.

tintin40":34nmrs6m said:
More pictures. Some close ups please :D

Sure!

Front hub and my all-time fave skewer:

Picture240-1.jpg

Rear mech & titanium XTR cassette:

Picture242-1.jpg

Front mech & chainset (crank caps by you-know-who):

Picture241-1.jpg

No surprises in the handlebar & brakelever department:

Picture243-1.jpg

Niche cantis:

Picture244-1.jpg

Picture245-1.jpg

Full bike as it stands:

Picture246-1.jpg

Still need to rebuild the wheels and locate a nice headset & seatclamp. Seatpost needs stripping & polishing silver. Also need some perches for XTR M900 shifter pods...

Love this bike except the seat - got a lot of components in common with my Vit T which I guess is what happens when you try and build with purple parts and a bias towards british based companies. One question though - are the brakes on the wrong way around? I always get this mixed up but think the shorter wider cantis normally go on the rear?

Very nice. "No one would have believed in the early years of the 21st century, that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own.... An intellect vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded Corduroyboy's titanium and amethyst creation with envious eyes."

stevet1":1zu7ccy7 said:
Love this bike except the seat

:LOL: I may or may not keep it! (The saddle, that is!) :LOL:

stevet1":1zu7ccy7 said:
One question though - are the brakes on the wrong way around? I always get this mixed up but think the shorter wider cantis normally go on the rear?

I thought that as well, but a little research:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/brakes/ ... itrac.html

tells me that the 'tradition' is to use the long low-profile version on the rear and the shorter, wider version on the front. I'll measure up and try to work out the mechanical advantage of each - the pad mounting is certainly much closer to the pivot on the shorter version, leading me to believe that the advantage may be greater, even though the arms are shorter. Plus, I believe the longer low-proflie version may have been used on the rear more often because of heel clearance issues.
This said, Bikepro does also suggest that either version can be used front or rear! ;)

Thats a stunningly stylish bike Giles. Really liking it you've blended the ano in perfectly.

Class.

But you have to admit there's little hope for your Retrobike sanity once you admit on the internet that you have an "all time favorite front skewer" ;)

[it's OK, we understand]

DM":yqxwabwk said:
Class.

But you have to admit there's little hope for your Retrobike sanity once you admit on the internet that you have an "all time favorite front skewer" ;)

[it's OK, we understand]

Front and rear! Oh, that wasn't your point...

All hope is lost!

:p

Back