Salmond v Darling debate: STV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree Velo. I was firmly No, then I changed to Yes, then I was don't know, then No again, now leaning towards Yes...(but still not quite there yet)!!! Genuinely dont have a clue what to do next week. Its almost like information overload, but not knowing what information to trust. I ignore everything that comes out of every politician's mouth on either side, since the only thing certain in this whole debacle is that every word spoken has an agenda behind it. I try to rely on what is considered impartial information, but even that is difficult to find.

I have been sickened by blatant lies I have read on both sides too, which I think is totally reprehensible. We are all entitled to our opinions one way or another, but trying to influence someone else based on pure fabrication is fundamentally undemocratic in my opinion.

It's also worrying that the vote is so close purely for the fact that 50% of the entire population is going to be upset, regardless of the outcome.

Re:

Velo, make your decision and shut up shop. I agree I'm almost starting to get anxious myself. Everywhere (apart from here it seems!) is going nuts and starting to become a bit (big bit) aggressive. I'm now going to try to avoid it all until the 18th, I'd made my mind up a long time ago and I'm sticking to it, it was based on a hope that there is something better out there than what we have just now and no argument or counter argument is going to change it.

velomaniac":3abmatmf said:
Dont know about you lot but I'm starting to feel physically sick about my final decision on referendum day. Half of me is Yes, half of me No but its too important not to make a decision....

Just Google what Boris, Farage, and a host of other English politicians are saying about stripping funding away from Scotland if we stay in the Union.

If we vote Yes we have uncertainty, but if we vote NO we have a pretty dire certainty.

Re:

just a thought; if scotland depends on oil for its wealth
what happens when the oil runs out?
i think westminster took as for a fool till this last poll put the yes ahead.

Re: Re:

kenaltobelli":1b942l9o said:
just a thought; if scotland depends on oil for its wealth
what happens when the oil runs out?...

There's more to our economy that oil, but apparently there's a lot more. The No campaign is masterful with deceit and halftruths.

Re:

You should have gone for a postal vote. Mine's all done and away. Either way it's still going to be tough times ahead for the foreseable future. The way both sides are talking it's as if everything is going to magically change next weekend.

Beware. Remember the pre ballot Liberal 'promises'. They're all as bad as each other. Professional politicians.

Fortunately for my stress levels, I don't have a vote in this referendum. My own view is that Scotland would be better off in the UK, while the rest of the UK may benefit from losing Scotland. Ultimately only Scottish residents can decide (quite why non-Scots are allowed to vote, while Scots living outside of Scotland are not allowed to vote on the future of their country, I do not understand).

What I will say is this has been the lowest quality and most cynical campaign for any plebiscite I have ever seen in Britain. The failure of the YES side to make a coherent case is astonishing, and the official debate now just seems to be a battle of propaganda on both sides.

Whatever the result, I wish Scotland the best of luck on the path the people end up choosing.

Don't feel glum Velo. Get angry! :x

I'm actually pretty incandescent right now. The rich and powerful are lining up to shoot down our chance of independence by spreading lies and fear, and they are being aided and abetted by practically all of the mainstream media. The BBC situation is ridiculous with Nick Robinson and Jackie Bird completely failing to show any kind of impartiality or journalistic integrity. Radio Scotland reports that RBS will move headquarters but fails to report the CEOs statement that there will be no job losses as it would be a purely technical move. And then I go on to the Channel 4 news website, which I kind of think of as the last bastion of fair television news, to find they have joined in the party spouting absolute rubbish. Jon must have been nobbled by his nephew Dan. :evil: The worst of it is there will be a lot of fence sitters, or recently swayed yessers who will be cowed by all of this. It is actually destroying the free, fair and democratic aspect of the referendum. If better together do win this by anything less than a landslide then it will be a very hollow victory indeed. But of course, no-one on that side will care as they can carry on with their status quo, propping up the obscenely rich in any way they can, while kids up here go hungry.

I briefly thought about getting stuck into this debate in a deeper way, but I've stepped back from the brink, with this stemming from fear of berming bridges with all the excellent people on here. The TV debates have told me all I need to know about the two sides, what with the leaders continually spoking over each other, failing to frame their points in good faith, or to even remotely attempt to get to the hub of it, and franky I tyre of seeing some supporters on both sides acting like raving cyclepaths doing eggings, assaults, and road rage incidents. Circular reasoning abounds, and thus I'd rather stay clear of taking sides in what has quickly gone downhill to become a total and utter melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back