Saab heading for administration?

The new SAAB's were so ugly with all that chrome round the head lights

I carry a lot of kit up and down the motorway so needed something big, reliable and fast. It was this or a T-5 and it had to be black, and the Saab came up first. We now have two 9-5 Aeros and they've been fantastic. One is a 98 and the other a 2000. Both have over 140K on 'em now and going strong.

GM took ownership in 89 and gradually dictated the use of off-the-shelf GM parts more and more. Mine still have Saab engines, suspension and ergonomics. I wouldn't have the facelift one though, whoever signed the "Dame Edna" off needs shooting. They go really well but it's so ugly it would depress me before I got in it. GM have also kindly added sh!tty cheap generic switchgear and "De-contented" the remote petrol cap popping swtich from the driver's door. It's these little things that make me not want another.

GM have been leaking money in their biggest market, the US, hand over fist for years. Same as most. The unions over there have made the plants cripplingly expensive to run, and now they are looking to ditch their overseas interests and stop funding Sweden in this case.

BM have done it with the Mini plant over here. They were selling like hot cakes before. Car Industry Captains are harping on about the government coming up with some scheme to get people buying cars again, Government are saying make cars people want, but the stark reality that needs addressing is:

Every effer with a car is bricking it about keeping a job and therefore no-one wants the debt of a new car. Any car. Doesn't matter if it comes with a free nympho italian supermodel to polish your rocket every night; if you have to take 20K of debt on in this climate, it won't sell. Restore job confidence should be the priority for the government; the rest will come.

Saabists

A great european brand with a lingering heritage despite the GM years (Dr. S is keeping it going for sure this year...) - here's my much missed 96 ('Norman') on the way back from Le Mans three summers ago....

Mr K

Attachments

• Saab 96 Le Man 06 return leg.jpg
    Saab 96 Le Man 06 return leg.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,182
They are great from my experience. i was also shocked by the FWDness but I'd have one as they seem quality.

I had a passenger ride in a 900 Turbo in the 80's was totally awesome and like nothing else.

More recently two of us were trying to Hoof a 9000 across a frozen field! heavy feckers.

Be a real shame if we lost a distinctive and quality mark

DSCF2448a.jpg

:LOL:

There is a cottage tucked away near us and the owner seems to keep a good stock of the 80s 3 door 900s for spares. He has a lovely Aero Turbo on the go at the moment, a car I lusted after as a kid. My folks have always had Saabs but the GM take over (IMO) did to Saab what Timberland did to Howies.

Saab 9000

Alfa 164

Fiat Croma

Lancia Thema

All the same basic car with the ingredients of each company thrown in to make them unique

Saab 900

Vauxhaul Cavalier! hahahahahah!

At least the 9-5 still has some original Saaaaaabyness to it.

My mate used to make his Dad's old 900 scrape its mudflaps around corners...

Back