S. ROLAND - JONES CYCLES of ACTON

Toecutter

Old School Hero
I am hoping someone reading this topic might be able to help.

I've just acquired a lovely old road racing type bike which looks like it dates from the 1950's or early 1960's. It has Nervex lugs and a grease nipple on the bottom of the BB shell. It bears the name of S. Roland - Jones in signature style script on the downtubes with a very attractive transfer on the seat tube. This describes the bike as supplied by S. Roland - Jones of 329, Horn Lane Acton W.3. and bears a leaf and acorn with ACO 1723 upon it (telephone number I assume) On the head tube is a nice brass badge with the same design.
A number of London cycle shops had their named frames built by outside frame builders and this presumably was one of these. I would be interested to hear about anything to do with this cycle shop as I can't find anything on the 'net and none of my older club mates in the Middlesex RC have ever heard of them.

...I tried to upload a photo or two of the bike and its badge but somehow failed. Pics available on request.

With thanks
Shaun

Re:

Hi

Is it the one that was on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302116117089

If so it looks like an interesting machine and definitely more 50s than 80s. Hope you dont mind me posting the ebay link - I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along to help shortly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's the one and thanks for your interest; not a problem you posting the link. The vendor is more an antique trader but buys a lot of older racing bikes from France - well worthwhile following as a seller on ebay in that regard.

Shaun

Toecutter":zhe0s738 said:
That's the one and thanks for your interest; not a problem you posting the link. The vendor is more an antique trader but buys a lot of older racing bikes from France - well worthwhile following as a seller on ebay in that regard.

Shaun

Could also be useful with the link he gives to 'Silversprint' as a bike collection/delivery company. Anywhere in UK Mainland for £30 sounds pretty fair these days.

Hi Shaun

I'm sure someone can shed some light on your fine frame so I was wondering if it might be worth changing the subject to title unknown 50's lightweight or something similar to widen out the interest? As there seems to be no information online for S. Roland-Jones so it might have been a very short-lived and long-forgotten business? Also, I'm sure someone on here will have some suggestions as to who might of built it.

If your really keen Ealing council archives might have some information on the shop (looking on google street view it's now a Polish Deli).

For those that haven't looked, here's some of the pictures from ebay:

Attachments

• badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 953
  • lug.jpg
    lug.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 953
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 953
  • headt.jpg
    headt.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 953
  • rsj.jpg
    rsj.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 953
Difficult to see the seat cluster properly in the e-bay photos but the seat stay tops have a 'Viking' flavour to me. The Nervex Pro lugs etc. might indicate a 'Severn Valley' or similar? I'm sure they did build for the trade as well as their own brand.

Re:

I'd go with the early 50s as well.

It looks very much like my old 50s road bike by Harry Rensch, especially the lugs. Another London bike builder, I believe

Many thanks Chaps for your helpful suggestions and interest.

I think with this example I'm more intriqued about the shop and the name on the frame so to speak. Most shop branded bikes had transfers only whereas this one has an ornate brass badge on the head tube, I know that Ken Ryall at Hounslow went that extra bit further as well but not many others did.

If all else fails I'll certainly look to check further through the local history groups / library and council.

The bike is now being sympathetically renovated back into a road racer. Scratches and areas of rust and damaged paint are being touched in where needed and extra parts have been acquired to get it back on the road, hopefully by Christmas.

Thanks again.

Shaun

Back