Rusforth and Donovan of Wakefield - any info?

extramedium

Dirt Disciple
Can anybody tell me about this frame? Was in a bit of a sorry state but still had some nice gear on it including a Brooks saddle dated 1966. From what I understand Rusforth and Donovan was a shop in Wakefield that has long since passed. Google draws a total blank. It’s been suggested to me that the frame may have been supplied to them by Ellis Briggs. I’ve contacted them but no reply as yet. It does have a 4 digit serial number. What do you think?

Attachments

• 69E20BEF-32E9-422B-AC1B-C8228F9B3E53.jpeg
    69E20BEF-32E9-422B-AC1B-C8228F9B3E53.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 08FB6E3A-3667-4A1B-ACA5-C63738C4DBF3.jpeg
    08FB6E3A-3667-4A1B-ACA5-C63738C4DBF3.jpeg
    830 KB · Views: 21
  • E289E111-7511-4CD4-86CD-4BE9AD468503.jpeg
    E289E111-7511-4CD4-86CD-4BE9AD468503.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 02201CB9-3296-455F-911F-3C0803EC117B.jpeg
    02201CB9-3296-455F-911F-3C0803EC117B.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 8F3DF4D7-9236-42B1-8685-F56C20CC7DF0.jpeg
    8F3DF4D7-9236-42B1-8685-F56C20CC7DF0.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 17
  • 8E92B682-03D1-4BB6-905E-5508C2450AE4.jpeg
    8E92B682-03D1-4BB6-905E-5508C2450AE4.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 17
Very nice.

I don't think it's an Ellis Briggs as their frame numbers were stamped like this (from 1953) :
20170819_152235.jpg

This was the local bike shop to me BITD. When we moved to Wakey at the end of '71 it was only Mick Donovan running the shop. The Rushworth name (can't remember his first name!! He was Val Rushworth's husband. Val was a top lady rider and became a trusted local coach) had gone by then. The frame you have, with its pin striped seat cluster would probably have been supplied by a Yorkshire builder which could have been Ellis Briggs although Mick did deal with the other ones such as Woodrup (he obtained some forks from them for me), Pennine perhaps and maybe Bob Jackson. If I see any of the older club lads maybe some of them might know a bit more. Are Ellis Briggs still extant? The original EB sold out few years ago. Where did you obtain the frame? It looks in reasonable condition considering its age. In the earlier days of the UK pro scene Mick sponsored local rider Phil Marrows (ex Raleigh) for a season or two. Phil may remember where his frame came from.

Thanks for that! It’s nice to have some info recorded somewhere about it as I literally can find nothing on the web which is pretty unusual these days.

I got the bike from a guy who does house clearances so not much info there.

To be honest I was just going to shift it on as it’s not my size. If anyone knows someone with a connection to the shop who might want it please let them know. I wouldn’t be asking much for it.

I was going to say that i would ask my mum, but i think Paul has probably put you on the right track. I can't say that as a child growing up in and around Wakey that it was a name known to me.

I’m in Sheffield. It’s too small for you too I’m afraid - 21.5”
That's a shame, definitely to small. I wonder who originally owned it, perhaps I know/knew them.

I was going on to say that Mick Donovan sold the shop to Hargreaves Cycles (based in Dewsbury and still in business). This was, I think, around 1980 and he then became a sales agent for wholesalers and distributors in the cycle trade. Chicken and Ceeway spring to mind. He was an excellent wheel builder (I was told he built wheels for Beryl Burton) and latterly built for local shops. Mel Bentley was 'trained' by Mick in the black art of wheel building and those of you who bought 'Cycling' in the 80's will remember Mel's adverts. Mick sadly passed away some years ago, collapsing from a heart attack whilst walking his dog on a very cold day late December. I had reacquainted with him not long before and his passing was a shock to me and the local cycling community. From his stash of trade literature I acquired a fair amount of extremely interesting brochures, catalogues and price lists from mainly the 90's although some were a lot older. Some of it has been posted on RB in response to queries and related threads.

The Rushworth in Rushworth and Donovan was Alan, husband of Val Rushworth the former GB International and later prominent coach and leading light of the WCRA, both are still about, but not in great health. Alan was involved in setting up the business but his career was spent mainly as a Manager for Mecca Night clubs. He was also a BC Commissaire of some reputation and was for a number of years Chair of BC's West Yorkshire Division. I spent many hours as a youth in the shop and even painted the upstairs for Mick (Donovan) during my school hols. I remember sitting down with him at the end of 1973 when we had just set up the Wakefield Cycling Club, that being after we walked out of the Calder Clarion. The task was to design a jersey for the new club, our thoughts were along the lines of using red white and blue the traditional colours of Wakefield Trinity Rugby League Club. As we were talking with Mick puffing on his pipe, he was thumbing through the latest edition of the International Cycle Sport and facing me through the cloud of smoke was the front cover featuring Bernard Bourreau in the French National Champs jersey...and so with different sleeves (so as not to upset the French) that became the colours of Wakefield CC and an order was placed the next day with his contact in Belgium.

Mick Donovan was also a BC Commissaire and both he and Alan mentored me along the same road and beyond. Two great characters in Yorkshire cycling who many of us have much to thank.

Mick did buy in his frames and by the looks of this one with the slender un-fluted chainstays, it's more than likely an Ellis Briggs

Back