Running 1x9 without clutch mech?

I run a clutch mech on one of my bikes, though I use it I have on occasion forgot to switch it back on, the chain never came off and I ride technical trails. The reason I noticed, is the shifts feel different and the drivetrain is noisier. Apart from that not really any different, I do still use the clutch though, just feels a tighter system.

Vague, any more info 👍 why would you need one

Not really, the chain/mech moves and bounces when riding over rough terrain, your front mech stops it bouncing off the side of the front chainrings, without the front mech the extra tensioned rear mech helps keep tension in the chain stopping it from bouncing about as much.

Narrow wides do have their place, they do hold on to the chain quite well. They're quite cheap now as well. I've run various 1x setups and never dropped a chain with a narrow wide. But with a decent chainline you can use a ramped ring and the chain should stay put.

In regards to mechs, I prefer non clutch mechs but as mentioned it depends on the riding you do. For milder off road, fire roads and the occasional bit of singletrack, it's necessary. For proper offroad with rock gardens, rooty and bumpy singletrack and what not, it is probably worth it to have a clutch mech, just to keep things tighter.

Latest posts

Back