Rudy Project?

HI i have a Rudy Project Extreme Aluminum hard tail MTB. CroMo forks and orginally 21 speed (3x7) and centrepull rim brakes. Anyone know where I could get original tech spec for it as Im trying a restoration. I bought it as Frame and fork only. Its now my bike polo bike.

Be glad to hear of anywhere/one i should be looking or asking! Rudy Project customer support arent playing ball - "we gave up bike production, so are unable to help" they said.
Cheers folks

Attachments

• IMG_3440[1].JPG
    IMG_3440[1].JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 15
HI i have a Rudy Project Extreme Aluminum hard tail MTB. CroMo forks and orginally 21 speed (3x7) and centrepull rim brakes. Anyone know where I could get original tech spec for it as Im trying a restoration. I bought it as Frame and fork only. Its now my bike polo bike.

Be glad to hear of anywhere/one i should be looking or asking! Rudy Project customer support arent playing ball - "we gave up bike production, so are unable to help" they said.
Cheers folks
Hi,
interesting bike and good idea to put this back into shape and original equipment.
Just still a small hint, in terms of value, Rudy Project bikes may never get something like a valuable collector item, but most here are anyhow doing those things rather just for fun or by having an emotional relationship with old bikes ;)

There is almost no documentation about Rudy Project bikes. As you can see also on this thread with spare information and attention.

I would recommend you to first of all, try to date the bike as best as possible. Sometimes serial number could give a hint and most components especially also the Shimano ones do have a date called helping to identify date of production.
Is there nothing else left other than the frame and fork? Your picture still shows a full bike...

And let me add the very few official documents I do have about Rudy project bikes, it fit's anyhow to this thread.

Rudy Project information in Spanish bike buyers guide from 1991
Rudy Project 1991 Portfolio aus Bicisport Guia 1991.jpg

Rudy Project Ad of German retailer Ciclo Sport from 1992
Rudy Project Ad aus Bike 3 1992.jpg

French Rudy Project Ad from 1992Ad World Champion downhill
Rudy Project bike Ad Sep 1992.jpg

Ad World Champion downhill, most likely 1993
Rudy Project IMG_E6800.JPG

BTW: to me Rudy Project has never done a own bike design. Sold bikes had been sourced completely external.

Earlier CroMo Bikes had been designed in produced in Taiwan with some similarities to Alpinestars and later Fisher Bikes.
The Spanisch magazin is listing even the taiwanese company Anlen as owner of the brand.

A bit later than italian bikes from Verlicchi had been sold as Rudy Project bikes, a nice hardtail with an nice oversized aluminum fork, similar the one used for SBikes, and the well-know full suspension as shown also on the last picture here, also sold as Ironhorse, Sintesi, Bogner, and quite a few other brands.

Last edited:
there is an Rudy Project bike fan in Germany owning a couple of it

If you like I can reach out to him to get more details about original specs, but beforehand you have to provide more details about the year or better pictures of the frame set.

Hi @joglo this is so interesting. THANK YOU! Im not selling it but may use/show it at some retro mtb events. Ive only ever soon one in black before, and it was in the photo galleria. I will check out serial number and try to think exactly when i bought it. If you could e-introduce me to your German Rudy fan, that would be fantastic. Thank you again for such a useful and interesting reply, appreciate it.

Im pretty certain i bought it in 1993 with frame, forks, BB and bar stem fitted. There is a frame/serial number stamped on the BB. It is: F 9101 0402. If anyone knows where i can get info-would it be the welding company who fabricated it ‘Verlichi’?

Thanks for this info. How do you work that out? I have no idea!?!? Cheers
The Fairly factory in Taiwan usually used an F at the start of their serials. I think earlier in production they used the next number for the year and then the next two numbers for the month. However, based on your frame number it looks like they switched to two numbers for the year then two for the month by the 90s. I don't specifically know about Fairly serials though, so someone with knowledge of other bikes made in that factory may be able to add/correct that info.

Back