Royal Enfield Superlight Retro 531 1960ish

viscount

Old School Hero
Just to introduce my 'new' Royal Enfield project...
The Superlight was sold as a flat-bar tourer from early 50s to end of 1966 when RE was dissolved. (M/Cs went to India & still extant)

This was an ebay 'find' in Chester recently. I already have an earlier similar frame, but this one still has 95% of its original paint & they are great for customisation in my opinion: )

Ebay pic is here, with many non original components:

Came originally with 26 x 1 1/4 wheels, but the frame accepts 27" with minimal guard clearance, but suits very well 700s for modern, effective braking, & choice of tyres etc.

This one is currently being fitted with my choice of components & will make a super retro Town-bike/Light Tourer.
Now has a period Sturmey Archer FM hub, Weinmann 605 brake set on alloy Wolber Superchampion front & Weinmann concave rear. NOS Raleigh 48 tooth chain-set, & weighs 11.3KG as seen above. Feels tight & comfortable like this & will get its paint sorted better now I know it rides well for me.

Always had a affection for Royal Enfield (including their 20" wheeled Revelations) & the Superlights were always close to their top of the range bicycles. With the most excellent head-badges. Made like a gun! Made in England also!

Lots more info/pics if there is any interest on RB: )
Check my website for more details, as they come, shortly:
http://www.bicyclz.com
(Other interesting stuff there also: )

Catalogued in 1960 here:

And here:

Photo taken this morning:

Super cool Superlight I say; )

Re:

I love the 60s REs, & others: )
It's unusual to find these with good paint, & with a 531 frame don't they deserve saving & using??

Just like their Revelations: )
DSCN2384.jpg

Great for customisation/personal use.
I just love them: )

Royal Enfield have a distinguished history & are often unregarded these days days IMHO.

Maxy chain set with the red dust caps :)

For the life of me I don't remember the Revelation ..... Are they rare?

Shaun

Re:

Maxy with red caps; )
Is that not a cool chain-set??

Revelations are quite rare. Google the name: )
You won't see a trio like these anywhere else.

Tony Hadland says he's 'only ever seen the odd one'...
Seek & ye shall find I say: )

The red one, nice & original, is now in the good hands of Northern Ireland's Premier Collection.

Bit more info/pics about the RE Revelations (& Superlights) here:
http://bicyclz.com/royal-enfield-revelation-retro-cool/
My website, now under construction, but a whole lot of stuff to upload to it when I get the hang of it: )

I'd love to see Royal Enfield get some recognition.
Bit like a small version of Raleigh.
Made some ordinary bikes, but also some very interesting machines.

Re:

This Revelation was supplied by me to the mother of this rider... (My 11yo great niece)
Seems she likes it. Mother might need another one; )

This is the bike before I fitted the front rack, for the 'ultimate shopper experience': )
The 'squashed mixte' frame is long wheelbase & built for load carrying.

Latest posts

Back