Rotrax, Shirley (surely?)

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Well, this arrived from the very recommendable @colnagokid and will be a bit of a bitza as the whole concours thing isn’t really my bag : )
Will be a ‘50’s / 60’s / 70’s Frankagolo plus various Milremo things but hopefully tremendously fun. Like a kind of bike kept going by replacing bits as they wore out and then got left in a loft biek…

Attachments

• IMG_7460.jpeg
    IMG_7460.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 26
Very nice - and I agree with your non-concours thinking.

My son-in-law has a Rotrax in bits in his garage, recovered from a skip a few years ago by his sister, I keep asking him if he wants me to help rebuild it but he's got too much going on at the moment.

Very nice - and I agree with your non-concours thinking.

My son-in-law has a Rotrax in bits in his garage, recovered from a skip a few years ago by his sister, I keep asking him if he wants me to help rebuild it but he's got too much going on at the moment.
Cheers! Perhaps you could ‘borrow it’, just to take some pictures or something, then accidentally build it up ;)

This one, given it’s unspoiled with the remains of lovely lining, seems a bit wrong to repaint it. It’s only original once, as someone once told me.

Definitely one to keep as it is, paint-wise. Most people's bikes (that they actually rode at all) ended up with a mixture of components as they wore out, so really doing that will make it more 'authentic' than a catalogue type build anyway. It'll look lovely when built up.

Also all, looks like the seat tube needs a light-touch clean up (rather than reaming) so I can get the 27.2 seat post in
Best recommendation for doing this?
The flapper-type sanding things only have a short shank(?) for attaching to a drill, the flex hone things look good but there’s not a 27mm bore version (that I can find)

I use a piece of old broom handle or similar with strips of 180 emery cloth glued to it to remove rust etc inside seat tubes - leaves a nice smooth finish. make sure you flush out the tube after though - don't want the debris in the BB!
You can buy brake cyclinder expanding honing tools cheap on Ebay (from China) that cover the required size but on the one I bought the stones were very soft and only lasted long enough to do one frame. It's meant to be done at low revs with oil - perhaps I was too impatient.

I use a piece of very stiff wire, clamped in the end of an electric drill. On the other end I wire on a ball of wire wool. Invert the frame in a bike stand (so the debris falls out rather than dropping into the bottom bracket). This tends to give a nice clean finish but without changing the original diameter.

I use a piece of very stiff wire, clamped in the end of an electric drill. On the other end I wire on a ball of wire wool. Invert the frame in a bike stand (so the debris falls out rather than dropping into the bottom bracket). This tends to give a nice clean finish but without changing the original diameter.
Right, that I can do right away, cheers

Well, the homeMadeHoning didn’t work

Think I had best get it reamed as there seems to be a tight spot about 20mm down

Might be a little distortion from when is was made?

Second issue is I have a set of early ‘60’s Record hubs, the rear of which has two locknuts on the NDS

The outer, larger, is c.8mm wide, but is there a narrower alternative?

Am trying to gain (loose) about 4mm from the overall OLD to fit the 120mm wheel into a 116mm gap

With the larger nut removed it fits perfectly but am wondering if left like so it’ll kill me?

The axle is hollow so am using the original QR as well (hopefully)

Also, Gran Sport seatpost with the two ‘wing’ type fixings with the bolts that are under the saddle? What. A. Bastard to fit lol

Back