Rotec Pro Downhill Resto-Custom Build

Thanks for your support on this!

This bike is primarily for illustrating the design capabilities of my company, but I do plan to sell a few of them starting next year.

The stainless is a challenge to design with. Raw materials in the right grade, size and shape can be difficult to find and very expensive in small quantities. Then the machining of parts takes considerable care and attention.

So I had to both design a bike that works well and can be made with the chosen material. There are many small design details that helped me find efficiencies in the construction of the bike. Such a simplified design makes for a change with the aesthetics also. It could easily look like a boring collection of tubes welded together. But I spent considerable on the bikes lines and shape so it would look elegant and have a feel of speed even while sitting still.

The frame comes in at 8.7 pounds with shock and the complete bike as shown in the photo weighs 33.7 pounds. The bike rides both stable and flickable. The single speed arrangement is a revelation. Not so much for the purist racer looking for every second, but the other 99%, the riders that go ride tracks and lifts with their friends on the weekend for a good time. It has been perfect for that.

I read all topic with open mouth. See nice patent with bearings in links.
My history:
I was searching some frame with Lawwill system and nice condition, good looking. But suddenly I find Rotec in good condition, no scratches and nice price. After few mails with trader I bought it. When I buoght Rotec 5 or 4 years ago I can't find any information about frame. John Sullivan helps me to determine basic information.

Now this frame and brand is cult, rare (in my country is 1-2 new Rotec's RL9 and mine).

I give some pictures which I take 5 minutes ago and some with Rotec(and me) in action.

Attachments

• 20120708_013.jpg
    20120708_013.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,437
  • 20120708_010.jpg
    20120708_010.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 2,436
  • 20120708_015.jpg
    20120708_015.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 2,436
  • 20120708_016.jpg
    20120708_016.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 2,436
  • P1450718.JPG
    P1450718.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,436
  • IMGP0439.JPG
    IMGP0439.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 2,435
  • _tjr0396a.jpg
    _tjr0396a.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 2,436
  • DSC_5720.jpg
    DSC_5720.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,435
Gatorbrake 8.
I try to have some high quality and unique parts.
Now I thinking to change front fork and can't find some good USD.

This project got put on hold. My work schedule has been brutal (70 hours a week) and any free time goes to riding or vegetating.

The bike WILL be finished at some point, eventually.

Take your time, you've done so much already!

I bow before GOD, no mere mortal goes to such length's.

If you don't mind asking, where did you source the needle bearings?
I have an itch to mod both of my Rotec's, and I can't get "plush" out of my head....

Truly stunning attention to detail, I can't even imagine what's next.
-Alex

I sourced the bearings from enduroforkseals.com

Because of the existing bores in the frame/link/swingarm being slightly larger than ideal, the chrome rod I used for the inner bearing races is slightly smaller than ideal. To do it right you will need to do some custom ground and hardened inner races. Otherwise you will feel some slop in the suspension when it is unweighted.

Heading out of town for a 12 hour endurance downhill race this weekend. So another couple weeks before any chance of working in the Yamatec. I have all the parts here, just need some time.....

Back