Rock Shox Indy SL help please (probably very simple!)

i went to my local bike shop last saturday and asked to borrow

they didn't want to touch the old forks incase they broke them, so i spent 5 mins fishing around with it and eventually got them undone

I used a 5mm key

anyone else care to comment on how to remove dust covers as i've tried the advice, and they seem to be rock solid.

trouble removing the elastomers stack,..

sorry to highjack the thread :)

I have problems removing the plastic "spring rate adjuster" with the MCU bumper via the top of the upper tubes, as it seems that the diameter of the adjuster is larger than the diameter of the tubes, thats why it stucks and no chance to get it out. I have a second SL with broken casting and also from this one I cant get it out :eek:

anyone had the same difficulties and what to do ?

thanks.

Martin

P.S. you dont need a long allen key. when I dismantle my Quadra 10 (about the same design of the SL) I used from a 3/8" wrench set all extension and the 5 mm allen bits attatched to it and it was long enough.

m.r.davies":1jptkwn2 said:
anyone else care to comment on how to remove dust covers as i've tried the advice, and they seem to be rock solid.

Once you've got to the 5mm allen key at the bottom of the elastomer stack, and you've removed the stanctions, put the kettle on and make a cup of tea.
Pour the rest of the boiling water from the aforementioned kettle over the metal around the wiper seal. This should expand the mag alloy a little as well as soften the plastic wiper. I've used this method along with a combination spanner or a plastic tyre lever to prise out the wiper seal without damaging it on some old Quadra 21R's.
Plus you get to have a cup of tea with optional biscuit to celebrate your success.
Careful with that boiling water though!

Can't help you with the adjuster I'm afraid - mine came with an air-cartridge. A while back I dismantled a pair of Judy XCs and had a similar problem with the (totally f***ed :LOL:) MCU stack. I used a long thin flat-bladed screwdriver to get between the spacers and tube and managed to wedge them free.

Called into my LBS today and they've got an old hand-made long 5mm allen key which I can use :D

Re: trouble removing the elastomers stack,..

magas":3f4hx412 said:
sorry to highjack the thread :)

I have problems removing the plastic "spring rate adjuster" with the MCU bumper via the top of the upper tubes, as it seems that the diameter of the adjuster is larger than the diameter of the tubes, thats why it stucks and no chance to get it out. I have a second SL with broken casting and also from this one I cant get it out :eek:

anyone had the same difficulties and what to do ?

I just bought a NOS IndySL and I had the same problem. They seem to be really "in there". But heres what to do.

1)undo both top caps.
2)Press down on the crown to bottom out the fork, and then the plastic spring rate adjusters should be peaking out.
3)Use a flathead screwdriver and it gently pry them out. This step should be obvious how to do without damaging any part of your shock, so if it looks dangerous, you are probably doing it wrong.

Hope that helps.

This might interest you guys with Indy SL 97,

I was measuring the full amount of travel, and it is not the 63mm stated, it is more like 57mm, this is with spring stack compeltely removed. It was boggling my mind, untill I saw this: http://poehali.net/content/b00007/38_Su ... chocks.pdf

Look at "38-39", It seems as if the Indy SL 97 have friction dampners near the bottom of the fork, and I suspect that it could be taking up that extra 5mm of travel. Can one of you guys verify that you are getting the stated amount of travel with your forks?

I am going to disassemble as soon as I get hands on a long Allen key, and remove it as well. It feels more like stiction, and Air Englund Cartridges already have dampening.

YESSSSSSS!!!!

Finally got the buggers apart! :D
They needed a 6mm key (found a cheap set of long extensions) and a lot of de-greaser, patience, head scratching, brute force and swearing but now the stanchions are free!

They're gonna need a very very good clean now having never been serviced in their whole life it seems... :roll:

Sorry i deleted those scans i posted :oops: , was a bit ruthless clearing my photobucket, will scan them again if you need them ;)

Back