Road Pump Advice.

paulclarke

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Being an MTB Rider, I've recently added a road bike to my cycling interest and was wandering about a suitable light weight pump that's small enough to carry in my jersey pocket without to much fuss.

I've seen plenty advertised, but what to choice ??

Are these micro pumps that I'm thinking of actually worth bothering with, or are they a real pain and effort to get the tyre to the correct pressure ?
These type appeal to me due to the size and weight, these sound ideal..

I'me wandering if anybody is using or could actually recommend a decent small pump that's up to the job before I waste my money on something that will bust my balls..

Ideally, something with a flexible adaptor..

I run Tubulars..

Regards..

I have used a Topeak Mini DX masterblaster since 2006, its small enough to fit into a jersey pocket size is about 10" long, comes with a bracket to fit it behind the bottle cage so still looks ok for roadbikes, powerful, and has an intelligent nossle for presta/Schrader valves.

Get yourself either a framefit pump or the likes of a Lezyne with a flexible hose. Microdrive HP is excellent.

Retro bike means retro pump. all the better as whilst the new breed of micro pumps are good a full length one that fits under the top tube will always be more effective.

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for getting back with all the reply's and advice..

Yeah, the Lezyne, I'me glad that was mentioned, the range of Mini / Micro Pumps was a consideration as some of them do seem to fit my requirements.
I just wanted to be sure all the hype about them was justified, not so much about the cost as price wise, they seem to be reasonable for a quality item but more of a practical sense in that they are reliable whilst out on the road if called for. It would be bad enough doing roadside repairs without the hassle of a rubbish pump miles from home.

Having a vintage bike, I did think about trying to obtain a vintage pump for completeness.
I've just very recently completed a full restoration of my Peugeot PX10, I probably will keep up my search for that so the job is finally finished. It's taken quite some time to source some decent quality components that I wanted to finish the bike, for now though, I just really need to get some miles on it before the winter sets in..

If you happen to see a really happy chap riding out Cheshire / Wirral or North Wales, You'll know it's me coz I'll have a grin from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat..

Thanks Lads..

Regards, Paul..

Back