Road bike advice

An MTB with slicks is a step in the right direction but if you want the honest truth it doesn't come close to a proper drop barred tourer or road bike. I was reluctant to buy a 'road bike' but finally gave in and bought a tourer and glad I did it it rides so nicely. Buy the Ribble as you'll have no difficulty selling on if you need to as there's loads of folk into road cycling now.

Neil G":2rqldwp5 said:
An MTB with slicks is a step in the right direction but if you want the honest truth it doesn't come close to a proper drop barred tourer or road bike. I was reluctant to buy a 'road bike' but finally gave in and bought a tourer and glad I did it it rides so nicely. Buy the Ribble as you'll have no difficulty selling on if you need to as there's loads of folk into road cycling now.

I can't until December when the C2W comes in, our benefits are only unlocked for changes two times a year.

I've decided I'm going to have a look at the Halfords bike in person. Folk are making their money back on them on eBay (worst case if I decide to buy, which is highly unlikely).

E.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-TDF-L ... 7675.l2557
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-TDF-R ... 20e84d13b9

I can't get it out of my head that I'm about to buy a fork for £150, and just £50 more gets a brand new BSO, I just need to see it. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just make sure you have a really close look at the finances for c2w.

With final payments and so on, quite a few of the deals, once all totted up aren't much better than you'd get by taking cash and getting last year's colours. And as an added bonus, you own the bike from day one. Rather than 1, 2 or 3 years down the line. (Iirc, selling them before you actually own it is fraud)

mattr":7sed8e9a said:
Just make sure you have a really close look at the finances for c2w.

With final payments and so on, quite a few of the deals, once all totted up aren't much better than you'd get by taking cash and getting last year's colours. And as an added bonus, you own the bike from day one. Rather than 1, 2 or 3 years down the line. (Iirc, selling them before you actually own it is fraud)

This is why I'm talking myself into the Halfrauds road bike - I may hate road cycling and be stuck with the bike/payments.

Just be aware sine cheap road bikes are so rubbish they almost guarantee that you'll hate road riding.
Ditto with getting a bike the wrong size.

May be worth trying your LBS (a decent one of course) and see what they can do. Least you've got a better chance of getting the right size. 54 is probably too small for you.

Sizing on road bikes is much more important than it is on mountain bikes so him need to try a few out for size. A 54 will almost certainly be too small. I'm a tad shorts than you and ride a 56 which still has a reasonable amount of post showing but the reach was too great on a 58.

The C2W scheme has worked for me and I'll still save a descent chunk on the bike. I also didn't really notice the money but it was a risk in case I hated it....I ended up quite liking it.

Mindmap3":27wi9sje said:
Sizing on road bikes is much more important than it is on mountain bikes so him need to try a few out for size. A 54 will almost certainly be too small. I'm a tad shorts than you and ride a 56 which still has a reasonable amount of post showing but the reach was too great on a 58.

The C2W scheme has worked for me and I'll still save a descent chunk on the bike. I also didn't really notice the money but it was a risk in case I hated it....I ended up quite liking it.

Thanks - Yeah I've decided that I would be a 58cm on the felt :cool:

Back