Rim Tape - What's your style?

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I need some 'rim tape', I hate the things.

BiTD I was a lightweight black electrical tape a few time around it. I worked well enough and you gained fun bumps on the inner tube.

Nowadays I have use Syncros branded and similar stretch hoop fibre whatsits, they're damn tight, need thin screwdrivers to lift and move them to align the valve hole.
they also shred apart at the sides putting fibres under the rim/bead section.
Basically shite.

I have used plastic similar hoop things, they seems to always end up with a wobble and flatten and bend making them hard to align after some use, better than the traditional runner versions they end up baggy.

I'm now looking at thin strips of gaffer tape and I know it'll be good enough but I'll swear when I need to remove it and get to the spokes.

So what do you like to use?

Velox cotton tape.
Bought a box of it in 2 or 3 different widths from one of those one day sales 15+ years ago. Still not finished it.

Toolstation £2.67 Pull it tight as you fit it also good for tubeless.
Gorilla Cloth Duct Tape Black 25mm x 9.14m

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":356y3w9y said:

Plus 1

Can’t beat wrapping a bit of Velox fond de Jante around a newly spoked up rim. New Inner tube and a cap full of Hai Karate talc around the inside of the tyre and I’m back in the 1990’s

Used to just use electrical tape, now though i have so many rim tape hoops from older wheels i just use one of them, just have to find the right width amongst the chaos.

Back