Riese & Müller Packster 70 - 2020

@MuchAlohaNui All tools I used are visible in the first photo...

Installation guide states that you're supposed to only press on the cup itself and not touch the inside. But it's raised and the cup went in fine with a block of wood and a hammer.

20 punctures?😱
Just get those marathon plus tyres and be done with it.
...but the Marathon tires are known for being pretty dangerous in rain 🙃 . In the mean time, I use Tuffy's liners. Had pretty good success on virtually all my other bikes, but this cargo bike is so heavy, I suppose there's just enough weight to press broken glass shards through everything. Though, it's not like I am riding this bike in the Tour and can look for Marathon alternatives.

the cup went in fine with a block of wood and a hammer.
Good ol' block of wood. Awesome. I'll look forward to your review on how you like this new headset.

Pics posted in the ebike thread prior.

The original Alex rear rim was cracking at the spoke nipples in several places. Planned on building wheels on Hope Pro 4 hubs but never got myself in gear to get all the parts together. This 29” wheel came up for sale locally. Shoe horned in this 29” where the original was 27.5”. Total rolling circumference increased by 20-25 mm or so.

8ECCDDFB-6802-4388-8E1B-40E27552578B.jpeg
DEAA1DAE-37A0-40F3-B9E5-2A0B4A10BEB2.jpeg E3A447A6-9088-48A7-A978-CD7C1CC956E1.jpeg EF695A32-54FF-4EB3-8D88-B7882A480D25.jpeg 858FF50D-AD5D-4BE7-B82F-E57B70D830BA.jpeg 2D348FA0-8B8A-46EA-AB47-45CB35EEBDF0.jpeg

I use marathon plus and there fine but only on a "normal" bike. Is it because of the power transfer they are dangerous?
They have a reputation for reduced braking performance and wet cornering because the rubber compound is noticeably harder than virtually all non-puncture resistant tires. One of their major marketing points is how the Marathon Plus outlasts just about everything out there, a 10/10 wear rating. You cannot achieve that unless the rubber compound is very hard.

Just like cars, softer compounds with a good tread block offer superior braking and handling in wet conditions where as a tire marketed as a 50k mile tire will handle like crap and be precarious in wet conditions.

They have a reputation for reduced braking performance and wet cornering because the rubber compound is noticeably harder than virtually all non-puncture resistant tires. One of their major marketing points is how the Marathon Plus outlasts just about everything out there, a 10/10 wear rating. You cannot achieve that unless the rubber compound is very hard.

Just like cars, softer compounds with a good tread block offer superior braking and handling in wet conditions where as a tire marketed as a 50k mile tire will handle like crap and be precarious in wet conditions.
I guess I'm too slow to notice 😂

I have not run into any problems with Schwalbe Marathon tyres on our cargobike....thanks for letting me know they are practically unrideable 😅

Edit: BTW, how much torque did you put on that cassette lockring on your new 240 rear hub?
I'd be worried of the freehub splines getting damaged running it in conjunction with a motor.

That cassette does not look like it's machined out of one piece. So if the lockring is not sufficiently torqued the individual sprockets might try to eat their way in to the freehub splines.
Had that happen on both DT and Hope hubs just with leg power...

Last edited:
I have not run into any problems with Schwalbe Marathon tyres on our cargobike....thanks for letting me know they are practically unrideable 😅
Nice. :cool:

Maybe this is a QC issue? I have no first-hand experience, I digress. However, my wife had these on her then new e-bike and she said the tires acted weird in the rain, so I swapped them out for something non-Marathon. That experience plus those on Youtube and the internet at large has shaped my biased and small-minded opinion on the safety of these tires. :LOL:

Back