Ridgeback 603 1988

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone.

Looking for some guidance. I’ve owned this bike from new since 1988 (still have the sales receipt). It has spent the bul of its life gathering duct in the garage and has probably only covered a few hundred miles. Having a clear out after my father passed away recently and would love to see it go to someone who appreciates it. As you can see from the pic it is in extremely good condition with virtually no corrosion and only a few chips on the paint here and there. What do you think would be a fair price to ask for it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2661.jpeg
    IMG_2661.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Very nice bike, no clue on the price.
Seems to be equipped with DX and XT?
Listing the parts would help, also what is the height/size.

The more info you give the more complete your answer will be.

Very nice bike, no clue on the price.
Seems to be equipped with DX and XT?
Listing the parts would help, also what is the height/size.

The more info you give the more complete your answer will be.
Deore MT60 I believe on this. I actually remember the shop WG Hoar's well. I very nearly bought an 89 Ridgeback from there but ending up getting a Marin form Cyclecare which was just down the road. I could well be interested when you decide on a price assuming it's still fairly local.

Lovely bike in amazing original condition apart from the tyres/tubes? I keep saying this, but the market for 2nd hand bikes is very poor at the moment. Things are very slow to sell and are no way getting what they were, especially during COVID when prices/demand rocketed. Certain bikes are a little more immune depending on their brand/provenance/rarity.

Hard to give a definitive cost, but you could perhaps get up to £400 due to originality? HOWEVER you need to find the buyer for who this is THE bike they want and that could take time.

eBay is the best place for maximum audience, but you need to accept the fees from both eBay & PayPal, although eBay do lots of offers on listings to minimise fees. There are lots of dreamers on eBay listing bikes for crazy money and give a misleading value when people look and check things. Also it's best to offer postage otherwise you really limit your audience.

The 603 was a good bike with Deore 6 speed groupset, but the frame will made from more basic Tange tubing vs. more desirable Prestige/Concept tubing that was developed for higher-end frames.

Not a bad time of year to start to list a bike (although weather is still pants!). If you list on eBay, lots of good photos & description and offer postage and if put it up with a fixed price (you can allow offers to be made) then over the coming weeks you'll get a sense of interest and cheeky offers from buyers that will help indicate if you're on the money or not.

Ta!

Totally agree with 27motorhead. If you can find someone for whom this is their perfect lost love, then possibly £400 as an absolute top $ price.

The market really is poor tbh and thats not going to be on your side. If it was the xt 604 with a prestige frame then very likely 400+.....but thats the groupset and the tubing talking..

I would suggest that on a bad day it may only make £250. Hopefully not, but you may have to wait it out for substantially more and the exact right buyer.

It is However in lovely condition, which always helps.

All the best with the sale.....ps if you don't want the pain of ebay fees and want a good home for it, put it on the for sale page here on the forum.

Measured the bike today and I’d say it was 22” as per the receipt.

The bike is still pretty local to the shop I bought it in. I took a few more photos today and gave a wheel a bit of a polish to see what it would come up like (takes me back to my childhood when this was a regular occurrence!!) I think I spent more time as a kid cleaning it than I did riding it! The back wheel has a little bit of surface corrosion in places but would still clean up well I think. You can see that the black paint around the handlebars has started to corrode a little but that would be an easy fix. There are numerous little chips on the paint around the frame most of which you can see in the pictures. All of the aluminium parts though seem to be very good.

If anyone is interested then feel free to get in touch. If not I guess it’ll go on eBay. I would rather it was collected as postage and packing seems to be around the £65 mark and I’d rather the buyer saw it in person to ensure they were 100% happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2676.jpeg
    IMG_2676.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2680.jpeg
    IMG_2680.jpeg