Reynolds 531c racing bike - Peak Cycles- Withdrawn from sale

Re:

shop is long gone Jamie

From memory, it didn't appear to be a frame building type shop, more of a buy-in and sticker em up .... and with that I'm not saying they were bad, just not custom made.

I got stickers from that shop for next to nothing (and I wasn't a regular) to put on a different frame altogether, so there's no guaranteeing this frame was from Peak in the first place (but that probably goes for anything).

If the seller wants advice, given his situation, I'd personally strike up a deal for the frame/fork/headset combo, sell it now and you won't have to carry it to Oz. The bits could travel as you can easily sell them later..... Time is running out mate.

Re:

i am not sure if the question of whether it built by Peak or is 'just' a reynolds 531c frame built by someone else is that relevent, as many shops would have used local frame builders, and put their own stickers on. It might be more useful to find out who was building frames for Peak cycles in the 1980s.

In my view, a good frame is a good frame. The bike handles well, weighed in at about 10kg, and was comfortable. So to me it is worth restoring.

Re: Re:

mouse1":efxyvryn said:
i am not sure if the question of whether it built by Peak or is 'just' a reynolds 531c frame built by someone else is that relevent, as many shops would have used local frame builders, and put their own stickers on. It might be more useful to find out who was building frames for Peak cycles in the 1980s.

In my view, a good frame is a good frame. The bike handles well, weighed in at about 10kg, and was comfortable. So to me it is worth restoring.
Absolutely.
Sorry Mouse1 if you think I was attempting a put-down, I certainly wasn't. it was more a case of chucking information in, in response to ....

mouse1":efxyvryn said:
as i have never seen one for sale anywhere. I would welcome any advice from the forum
and
jamiedyer":efxyvryn said:
Would be good to hear from someone who might know more about the shop

Anyway, that's all I know and cant add anything further to the thread. Good luck with selling and hope it goes well in Oz

Re: Re:

pigman":2ot9h2f8 said:
Wasn't peak cycles Simon Burney's shop before he went into the hotel trade? If I recall, he was our only cyclo cross pro in the days when you were either amateur or pro. I don't know who built his frames though.
Not much use, but additionally.....Peak Cycles was in Matlock Bath in the 1980’s, run by Simon Burney and Aiden Leheup. Aiden could (still does) ride a bit too. He was working at Stanley Fearns but left last year, though he still lives in Matlock Bath. I think the frames were built somewhere in Nottingham.

Re:

I would like to thank everybody who has responded to this ad. I appreciate your help and advice. I have decided to keep the bike and restore it. It is now in a shipping box ready for its new life in Australia

Any other information regarding the bikes history would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Back