Retro Triathlon Bikes ??????????????????????????????????????

For as long as I can remember, how come we never see Retro Triathlon bikes pass this way?

Just curious. Not a fan of Triathlon in particular, just bikes. Let's discuss....

To get the ball rolling, found this when scanning the local ads.....and yes, it's weird as *uck, as you would expect from the early Triathlon scene trapped in a world of it's own (de)regulations and standards. Personally can't imagine mounting this wearing only a pair of swimming trunks, but all the same a good candidate for conversation and running uber fast errands.
I started doing triathlons in 1994; at that time machines with aerobars and 26 inches wheels were hot. They quickly faded as, in most events, drafting other competitors on the bike was allowed. Recently (mid life crisis), I've kind of become obsessed by youth reminiscences, and started to seek those old frames that I like to build in "restomod" (or maybe "neo retro"?) style

Attachments

• faggin triathlon 1.jpg
    faggin triathlon 1.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 23
  • qro.jpg
    qro.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 21
This is as far as I got back in 2010

serotta-colorado-legend-tri-jpg.97974

Great thread bump @jollyroger88

Almost three years on since the original post, situation is largely unchanged - retro triathlon bikes seem to have gone missing ...
those bikes were produced in very small numbers. triathlon wasn't huge at the time, and, yet, most participants preferred to ride ordinary road bikes with aero bars, only a small % used tri-specific frames with 26 inch (650c) wheels. they were produced for just a handful of years, before being obsoleted by new rules and by the fact that carbon fiber frames allowed to be built around more popular 700c wheels. add to this the fact that most triathletes of that era have now retired from activity and these 26" machines are now just weird looking objects to most eyes. insult to injury: 650c wheels have disappeared from the market; buying tires and tubes in that size is still possible, but not easy, even on the internet.
besides, if you like solo rides on "rolling" terrain, those bikes are still fun and very effective. I have another 650c project coming up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woz
There was a great book I had at some point now lost in that place where all your most treasured teenaged treasures went. My lovely mug of two vultures quizzing each other about naming a famous F1 driver, (Lauda, etc) is there as well.

Triathlon by Dave Scott I think it was. There were some great photos in there.

There was a great book I had at some point now lost in that place where all your most treasured teenaged treasures went. My lovely mug of two vultures quizzing each other about naming a famous F1 driver, (Lauda, etc) is there as well.

Triathlon by Dave Scott I think it was. There were some great photos in there.
"triathlon training"; still a lot of wisdom in there, >30 years later

Last edited:
I think there is a bit of love for early tribikes like the Centurion Dave Scott bikes I recall in the early years of the sport when they were generally normal bikes with aero bars bolted on. When they started getting weird technology like softride technology, poorly supported wheel standards, I think people lost interest in them. They are frequently ugly, and riding aero isn't for old buggers with bad backs like me. Its similar to lo pro track bikes around here. They sit on Craigslist for ever.

As has already been mentioned, triathletes don't look after their bikes - in my experience of buying/renovating/selling 'vintage' bikes.

I pick them up to strip them of parts - they often have gears, chainsets, and brakes in very good condition, but the frames and stems are often corroded, and the 26" wheels aren't very interesting to anyone, hence why these bikes are cheap.

I have a couple of carbon tri bars with extensions and brake levers for 250 Danish krone each, if anyone in Denmark wants them!

Back