Retro-Geezer gathering

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Every year in Marin County, Marilyn Price, director of the charity Trips for Kids, twists a few arms and rounds up the usual suspects for an appearance at a local brew-pub, with all the proceeds for the beer sold going to the charity. This year's event took place last Sunday.

It's the only time all year I see all the old gang in one spot. Making ceremonial appearances and guzzling gallons of free beer were local notables Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Otis Guy, Jacquie Phelan, Tom Ritchey, Scot Nicol (Ibis), Ross Shafer (Salsa), along with less well-known but locally important riders Bob Burrowes and Alan Bonds, winners of the first two Repack downhill races in 1976.

Film maker Billy Savage came by and showed footage from the movie he is making about the Repack Downhill.

The place was packed, and I noticed that the French guy whom nobody can understand was there again. He makes it every year, and his enthusiasm is infectious, while his accent is so atrocious that no one knows a damn thing about him. You just listen to him, nod now and then, and try to laugh when he smiles.

Sounds like a pretty cool meeting. And I like the idea of drinking rather than riding ;)

What was the Repack film like? A documentary? Was this the one mentioned on along thread on MTBR VRC?

Back