Retro gaming forum as good as this (for large collection disposal)

Max P

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys - as well as retro bikes I've been into console gaming, virtually all import stuff since the 80's. Built up a rather large collection of all the major systems from late 80's until circa 2000. Time has come to move it on. I used to be pretty active on the game forums about 15 years ago but cannot even remember which now (!)

What's the best way to dispose on all this? Any forums you can recommend? I've been on eBay for 22 years but man, the thought of listing and dealing with this lot would take much of my (early) retirement...

Hi guys - as well as retro bikes I've been into console gaming, virtually all import stuff since the 80's. Built up a rather large collection of all the major systems from late 80's until circa 2000. Time has come to move it on. I used to be pretty active on the game forums about 15 years ago but cannot even remember which now (!)

What's the best way to dispose on all this? Any forums you can recommend? I've been on eBay for 22 years but man, the thought of listing and dealing with this lot would take much of my (early) retirement...
You could sell to CEX - especially their original store which used to sell retro stuff on Rathbone Place off Oxford st near Tottenham Court Road.
Or Gumtree I guess.
Or

Ha, pretty funny as I bought a lot of stuff from the original store about 25 years ago! Not sure I'd get the best return that way sadly.

I had a big collection which I’d had since the 90s as a child. Some were sealed and most were very good. At the time if someone had offered me £200 for the lot I’d of took it until i was educated that single games fetch well north of that.

I joined a couple of forums (can’t remember which) and simply put bulk photos of stuff and a few guys came from down south and purchased most of the stuff. The rest went on eBay and sold easily.

Whenever I watch people like Retromancave he tends to cite eBay as the source of a lot of his stuff so I guess enthusiasts still actively browse there.

Maybe also worth considering donating some pieces there?

When it comes to selling, as ever you will get most money by parting it out piece by piece on something like eBay, but it will take forever. All other options won't maximise the return if that the most important to you. It's the time v money trade off.

I've bought collections (in another area) for sometimes 10% of they'd cost if bought piece by piece - but they've sometimes taken years to sell the bits I didn't want (even at lowest feasible prices). Lastly, we have to face the fact that there will be an increasing rush for the exits as we get older and go through the same life stage. There's a reason why there's not many collectors of Elvis memorabilia anymore.

Last edited:
Fins some of the Retro Arcade places if there are any near you (there is one in Hull, Sheffield I think also) see if they want any of it and yes some do also have consoles, most make next to no money out of their shop/hobby though.
You could ask the two computing museums if it's anything they might want (TNMOC and Centre for Computing history).

Other than that I see most buy on ebay hoping for a bargain or a repair job.

Stick a few words at the top of Twitter and see what comes up to get some sort of ideas.

Back