Retro courtesies

Re:

Having done more road work than usual this year I find that most roadies will nod or say hello although they are less likely to when I'm on my MTB.

I'll always give a nod or a greeting but as I've got older I've come to the view the community of like mindedness is a bit of a myth so any lack of reciprocation only amuses. You get decent folks & you get knobs. An interest in bikes or other common interest doesn't change that - just might take you longer to spot.

It's worth repeating that when I started the topic I did emphasise that most fellow cyclists do return greetings, and offer roadside help if they think that it is needed, but, at the risk of sounding nostalgic (isn't that what this forum is about?!) I do think that cycling used to be a much more egalitarian pursuit and people were far less conscious of image and purchases. Many of the most passionate and committed cyclists rode on decades old frames, and expenditure was minimal.
Personally, I think that the significant number of fellow cyclists who blank you if you acknowledge them are far removed from that old egalitarian ethos, and subscribe more to the ethos of one-upmanship, but that's probably true of society as a whole!

rjkg":1fxxap0q said:
It's worth repeating that when I started the topic I did emphasise that most fellow cyclists do return greetings, and offer roadside help if they think that it is needed, but, at the risk of sounding nostalgic (isn't that what this forum is about?!) I do think that cycling used to be a much more egalitarian pursuit and people were far less conscious of image and purchases. Many of the most passionate and committed cyclists rode on decades old frames, and expenditure was minimal.
Personally, I think that the significant number of fellow cyclists who blank you if you acknowledge them are far removed from that old egalitarian ethos, and subscribe more to the ethos of one-upmanship, but that's probably true of society as a whole!

Spot on !!!

Re:

I chuckle when the younger generation go in the opposite direction pulling a wheelie on their Ebikes. No look of effort as the motor helps do the work !

:LOL:

rjkg":32kg6jg5 said:

I'm not sure - I ride my scruffy (sorry, patinated) Witcomb in the winter and when the carbon crowd swish past usually somebody remarks about classic steel...and not in a sneering way. Most seem covered in crap as they don't seem to use mudguards yet still ride in a bunch. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back