Retro courtesies

rjkg

Retro Newbie
Is it just me, or is the comradeship amongst cyclists here in the UK declining ?
Having been a keen road biker since a kid in the 70's, and a keen mountain biker virtually since its inception in the UK, I've noticed an increasing tendency over the last few years, amongst 'roadies' especially, not to exchange courtesies, or often to completely ignore you if you acknowledge them whilst out on the road.
Now, I'll happily admit that fortunately most cyclists still do exchange courtesies, and offer help if you're in need of it, but is there a noticeable decline in this, or is it just me, or where I live ?!
I would say that I find this trend less prevalent amongst mountain bikers, but even more pronounced if you acknowledge a 'roadie' whilst out on a mountain bike !

Yep it is going naturally some places are better than others. The rudest is when they overtake you and dont say anything. The hardcore all kit carbon roadys are the worst ones haha.

Re:

I was overtaken last week by a woman on a road bike and she had a very shapely rear end !

I almost had a seizure trying to keep pace, I had no breath to say "hullo" :LOL:

Re: Re:

Corblimeyguv":2tpiccj9 said:
I was overtaken last week by a woman on a road bike and she had a very shapely rear end !

I almost had a seizure trying to keep pace, I had no breath to say "hullo" :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

longun":9j11gk4o said:
I'm that annoying person who says hullo to everyone haha

I’m trying to train my kids to sit up in the saddle, wave one arm in the air and holler “Morning” with a huge smile whilst the plastic peloton flies by.... usually the fat lad at the back acknowledges us :LOL:

I'm the same as you Peachy; I give a breezy " hello" at the top of my voice to all roadies as they are the worst for completly ignoring you. I find it more interesting to overtake the fat mamil, who just overtook me on the flat, when they then cant pedal up the hill.....hilarious!

Most are even rude when stopped. I'm completly ignored on my 1983 Raleigh alpine tourer.

But, I've realised what it is.....mamils naturally cant see steel or any ferrous metal; and riding such a thing envelops you in a " cloak of invisibility ". Think of them like the poor cavemen who came before modern humans....unable to communicate and on a perpetual search for carbon fibre!

Probably a consequence of more cyclists generally. You would be there all day if you acknowledged every cyclist you encountered in London.

Here in rural Wales, however, there are still plenty of hellos and bore das between cyclists, walkers and anyone else not travelling in car. Sometimes even the car drivers will get and/or give a smile and wave. Usually only the tourists don't say hello because they aren't used to it I guess!

Tootyred":2f5yufo4 said:
I'm the same as you Peachy; I give a breezy " hello" at the top of my voice to all roadies as they are the worst for completly ignoring you. I find it more interesting to overtake the fat mamil, who just overtook me on the flat, when they then cant pedal up the hill.....hilarious!

Most are even rude when stopped. I'm completly ignored on my 1983 Raleigh alpine tourer.

But, I've realised what it is.....mamils naturally cant see steel or any ferrous metal; and riding such a thing envelops you in a " cloak of invisibility ". Think of them like the poor cavemen who came before modern humans....unable to communicate and on a perpetual search for carbon fibre!

Now don’t judge me too harshly..... but I do have some mamil mates.... :facepalm: (they love me in my baggy shorts)
They just found out (yesterday) that my recently DuraAce covered RetroMod CB Colstar from 1981 weighs the same as their cheap far eastern carbon coat hangers... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

NB Mamils are just like any other heard of un-domesticated creatures... show them some love such as how to stop their BB creaking or how to adjust their brakes properly and they will be as tame as pussy cats :LOL:

Back