Repainting Klein Pulse

swannymere

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Any advise on repainting an old Klein Pulse Pro, it has half its original components and is a working bike but its current gold paintwork is peeling in places. Its probably not worth a lot and although i'd be fine riding it as is i wouldn't mind stripping it to bare metal and giving it a fancy paint job like a Attitiude in Mardi Gras, Rainforest etc. although i would still sticker it up as a Pulse Pro; i'm not looking to hoodwink anyone.
Any ideas on the best way of stripping the paint and what process for repainting (no professional spray kit). Any advise appreciated.

If you want a Klein finish like you mention (mardi gras etc) then you will need to enlist the help of a pro! Google fat creations they can help you if so inclined

The obvious places for this are:

- Kleins Painted (Jon Rock on here)
- Etoe (Germany)
- Cycle Art Berlin

Please be aware that none of these are cheap - in fact, costs would be well in excess of what the frame is worth. Also, there has been some rumours that at least one of the above has refused to paint “lower end” Kleins (i.e. MC1 and MC2 Attitudes and Adroits only)..

Stripping paint you could do yourself with paint stripper, but another option would be to get it media blasted.

Are you planning to paint the frame yourself?

I'd be tempted to have a stab at something myself. I'd get the frame blasted and powder coated in a base colour (white?), choose your paint colours (why stick with the original colours when you have a blank canvas), cut up some sponges, dip in paint and dab away until you are happy, then clear coat it. The biggest challenge would be the de-bossed decals, but that said, they are just stencils filled in, but even plain decals would do i guess.

I'm sure I'm over simplifying.

What might be quite cool is a plain white frame with the logos painted in with say a mardi gras pattern.

Or you could pay a lot of £ for a pro to do it.

Stripping paint you could do yourself with paint stripper, but another option would be to get it media blasted.

Are you planning to paint the frame yourself?

I'd be tempted to have a stab at something myself. I'd get the frame blasted and powder coated in a base colour (white?), choose your paint colours (why stick with the original colours when you have a blank canvas), cut up some sponges, dip in paint and dab away until you are happy, then clear coat it. The biggest challenge would be the de-bossed decals, but that said, they are just stencils filled in, but even plain decals would do i guess.

I'm sure I'm over simplifying.

What might be quite cool is a plain white frame with the logos painted in with say a mardi gras pattern.

Or you could pay a lot of £ for a pro to do it.
Thanks everyone, this is the kind of advice i was looking for, it's not a high end frame and not worth paying someone to paint it. I was worried that the walls might be a little thin for media blasting (no experience but just guessing) so probably stick to paint stripper and sanding. Sponges is a great tip, i suppose the finish will depend on preparation and lots of fine sanding and then clear coating.

Back