Renamed again: Lakes and Dales hilly stuff

Good work again Rich.

I've ridden Buttertubs, Mallerstang and Fleet Moss, and each time it was raining. This is just one reason why I'm jealous of the fact you got out there on a day like that.

There is a thread on what would make you turn up to a retro bike ride. It is photos like those that get me to put a bike in a car and drive all day just to ride those roads. Looks like you had a fantastic day. Not a car in sight.

Chris.

Was in the Lakes last week, didn't see anything like this though. We were at Newby Bridge.

What's the big hole in the ground next to the road out of interest?

Chris, the large holes are the Buttertubs in't Yorkshire Dales lad, north of Hawes. The Tour is going over there one stage 1, although I'm sure it'll be a breeze for the pros. Interesting descent though :D

There's a good road climb up past Gummers How (either direction) which is just by Newby Bridge. I'm kinda getting into the whole road biking thing :oops: although many of the other roadies I pass round here are, quite frankly, miserable bas*tards.

Hoping to do the Great Dun fell climb sometime this year, looks a beast and Hardknott West > East plus maybe Honister and Newlands Hause.

Re:

Did the Fred Whitton a week ago and really enjoyed it. Generally felt comfortable with all climbing until Hardknott but at least i didn't have to walk any of the ride. Hardknott is a monster but if you can get over the first switchbacks you can recover slightly before the hellish next ones to the summit. Honister is a little bit of a grind at the bottom but it doesn't last too long and the rest is pretty easy. Newlands is steady and the scenery is stunning and takes your mind off the work....only a short steep push over the top. Whinlatter is a steady climb but not difficult. Wrynose can burn the legs a little after you have come off Hardknott but you don't have to climb much to get over the top as you start not far from it.

I'm off to the lakes next weekend and want to try Wrynose from East to West and the same with Hardknott, but also i haven't ridden Newlands East to West or Honister West to East so aiming to get them in too.

I'm afraid i've been a convert to road biking within the last 18 months :oops: ....and that damn Strava thing....just don't get me started :LOL:

Re:

Great effort Drew as I think it was a pretty blustery day. Of all the climbs I've done so far in the Lakes and Dales, Wrynose from the East was by far the worst as much of the steeper parts are straight, probably psychological more than anything. I've still not had a go at Hardknott from the West yet though. Hoping to try the climb up to Great Dun Fell at some point this summer. Anyone any experience of it?

Re:

Great Dun Fell is on my to do list too. Looks tough but I love a bit of pain.... Suppose you have to to ride a road bike

Re:

Great Dun Fell, the highest paved road in the UK and a fair old climb, in fact it gains more height more over a shorter distance than the Bealach-Na-Ba in Scotland. Pretty popular too, met at least 10 other folk yesterday including 1 nutter who had climbed it 3 times as a recce for a record attempt next month on height gained in 24hrs :shock:
Once was enough for me, fantastic road, no traffic, great view from the top.....

Iup3H0n.jpg

5Or4w9X.jpg

wZtfbR0.jpg

EgnBGFc.jpg

x4W6X6V.jpg

p2mmfOe.jpg

Re:

That looks fantastic. I didn't realise there was a tarmac road all the way to the top. Must get up there soon.

Back