Refurbishing M900 Cranks

I had the high temp transfer decals made to match the originals, took 2-3 tries to get them exactly right. It's all worth if if you're doing volume, doing one crank alone is stupid expensive. I did a lot of 40 or so pairs in the end IIRC, at that scale the process makes sense.

Sorry for going a tad off topic but staying with cranks

If you clear powder coated M900’s what would you do with scuffed black XT

Polish and Anno black, or polish and black powder coat ?

Re:

Black XT are actually black Anodized, so you just strip. Polish and then black ano. Then some white paint for the logo. I did a few and they turned out amazing!

Re:

I have dry transfer M900 logos for cranks hubs and brakes.

Wet paint will work fine as long as you do it in the right way.

J

Re: Re:

jonrock":32ky497y said:
I have dry transfer M900 logos for cranks hubs and brakes.

Wet paint will work fine as long as you do it in the right way.

J

Would you be able to sell me a couple of crank logos please?

Re:

I believe that the M900 and 600 and Dura Ace cranks have some kind of Pearl finish, how would do achieve that?

Most of the modern stuff is painted or coated, but I think the earlier stuff was probably put in a vibrating parts polishing machine. Depending on how coarse or fine the media is, you can get anything from a matt, or satin finish through to a mirror finish, something like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdc2YhkG5o[/youtube]

Well... I've had the anodising stripped off and have started to polish the cranks up. I'm not entirely happy with them, so I'm going to go back through sanding and polish them again. Then they're off for anodising:

Photo 14-10-2018, 15 00 53 by Stocktonator, on Flickr
Photo 14-10-2018, 16 03 30 by Stocktonator, on Flickr

I spoke to a local bodyshop about lacquering them but they weren't keen, so I'm kind of stuck now. Do I get them clear powdercoated, THEN put the decals on? I bet they'd wear off really quickly :(

Any tips on how to get them lacquered / what to use would be much appreciated.

Back