red laser lightd. UK legal?

Re:

I think you're supposed to have a red reflector on the rear and a white on the front as well:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... egulations

I imagine very few people are riding bicycles at night that are "technically" legal, even though they have good, bright lights that are better than those that are technically correct.

Here's my "shopping" bike:

Marin13.jpg

Marin15.jpg

I've got red reflective tape on the rear mudguard and some white tape on the head tube and there are some reflectors on the pedals, but only 2, rather than 4 legally required, there are also reflective "thingys" on the spokes and reflective strips on the tyres. I have a decent set of lights and with these fitted, I'm something akin to Blackpool illuminations in motion, but probably still not completely legal. :?

JamesM":3b442pc5 said:
Chopper1192":3b442pc5 said:
I run two lights front and rear for redundancy anyway.

The prime lights are both unapproved, but work superbly.

The secondary lights are approved jobs and are there as a back up in case the main light fails, but also keeps me technically legal. Job jobbed.

Do you have pedal reflectors? It's a problem for anyone using clipless pedals. I wear reflective bands on my ankles but they aren't orange and they aren't on the pedals as required by law. I thought about buying some orange reflective tape and sticking a tiny little bit of it to the front and rear of my SPD's.

You can also get some cheap looking plastic platform jobbies from Shimano that clip into one side of an SPD which have reflectors. They are very effective if ugly!

Re:

Time ATACs used to come with reflectors on a separate U-shaped strip that clipped around the pedal body (i.e. an optional fitting; let's face it, they wouldn't last long in a CX race). Dunno if that's still the case.

David

hamster":nts3y01n said:
If your Chinese light complies it will have the appropriate CE mark plus a TUV one for Germany. At £2.34 I suspect not....

They fake the certification as well. You can buy carbon "3T" stems on feebay out of Hong Kong for $30. Come with all the paperwork (spelling/grammar is some times a bit off).

Back