Recommend me a lightweight Sus .. 100mm fork circa 2001/02

Marzocchi Marathons are light, plush, tweakable, reliable and strong.

2002 had ECC lockdown, 2003 had ETA travel adjustment.

Good forks!

'Zocchi are also a sensible length for older bikes - I find Pace are usually the shortest, with Zocchi's being like only around 5mm longer for a given travel.

Pace RC36 are great too, I have a nearly new pair I might sell - 2002 Pro Class 2's, 100mm travel (adjustable down to 80mm and 65mm), with remote lockout, used for about 50 miles so almost as new, won't be cheap though!

As asked earlier - are these to ride, or to look at?

If it's for a bike to be ridden, Marzocchi every time for me at that vintage. They just work. Well. For ever. Seriously, I've got a pair of Z4s on my DeKerf singlespeed that have been serviced once in 9 years, and the service report basically asked "Why have you had these serviced? They were perfect."

If you want to ride, weigh less than 9 stone dripping wet, and don't want to go around any corners, then Noodletech(tm)* SIDs might be acceptable. Double so, if they are the early blue ones and you only want to look at them.

If you don't mind your suspension becoming heavy, complicated, rigid forks at the first sight of mud, then Manitous of that age are OK.

Finally, if weight really is that much of an issue (I've never actually noticed the supposed weight penalty of the Marzocchis on the trail), then take some strong laxatives about an hour or two before the ride. You'll save more weight than if you'd spent several thousand pounds on trick bits.

My (controvercial) 2p.

* My experience is that the steering response of SIDs suggests that they are made of overcooked pasta. Seriously, how could thay expect people to use forks that you have to give three weeks notice (in writing) to of any corner that you want to go round?

Back