Recipe of the Day

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Yum Yum, tried this last night and it was delicious!!

Sausage and Mash with a Twist

Ingredients
Serves two
6 Organic Farm shop Pork and Herb Sausages
1 Carrot
1 small onion
350g white grapes
glass of white wine
white wine vinegar
salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of sugar
olive oil

for the mash
Maris Piper potatoes
butter
salt and pepper

Method
Pre heat oven to 200 deg

Rub your sausages in olive oil, put in a tray in the oven for 10 mins.

Get your spuds on, boil from cold in salted water for around 12-15 mins whilst you get on with the sausages.

Finely chop your onion and carrot and sweat for 5-6 mins in a tablespoon of olive oil then add your grapes with a splash of white wine vinegar and the sugar. Sweat for another 5 mins on a low heat.

Remove sausages from oven and add the onion, carrot and grape mix. Add a glass of white wine and season well. Return to oven uncovered for another 15 mins until sausages and grapes are just nice and golden.

Now back to the mash.
Drain well and return to the pan over a low heat. Break them up with a wooden spoon and get all the water out of them until dry. Get another pan over a low heat and push the potatoes through a fine seive- you might have to do this twice. Remove from the heat and season. Carefully fold in a few knobs of butter, a drizzle of olive oil or some fresh double cream depending on personal taste. Check seasoning and adjust if ness.
You should now have a fine soft mash.

Now serve the mash and sausages, spooning over the soft golden grapes and sauce- simple!

Fantastico, the lovely creamy mash, meaty sausages and the sweetness of the grapes and the juices are a real treat. Only takes 20 mins to do and makes you look like you can cook to boot- Ace!

Tommorrow its another slightly oddball recipe- Apple Soup!

Try it and let me know what you think ;)

Have fresh supplies of sausages on the way next month (danish sausages are crap). May try this.

I'm trying to talk Mrs S into us getting a piglet. The inlaws have a farm nearby with plenty of mixed woodland (pigs love acorns!). You can get loads of meat off a pig and I'd love to have a go at making dry cured italian sausage having done a lot of reading on the subject. There is a stunning Napalese recipe for a soup made from pigs blood and chocolate that I'd love to try again.
She says the kids would get too attatched to it though although they understand that food comes from animals. I jokingly suggested that we fatten up their beloved pony to make nice food the other day and all they wanted to know was if it would be tasty and would it's brain go to Devon when it died!! :LOL:

Back