Readers Classic Motorcycles - Chat Photos Builds/Resto’s etc

Re:

Just seen this thread.

Passed my test in 1976 on a mates SL125 at my second attempt. My first attempt was on my bike at the time, a 250cc 1966 Royal Enfield Continental GT, complete with drop bars and Dunstall megaphone silencer (?).

After my test I had a T500P Triumph, then a big crash as a pillion passenger, then a 69 Bonneville, then a late 850 Commando with electric start assist, then I got married.

Had all sorts since then, including a Triumph 750 featured centre spread in AWOL magazine, a Laverda 3C and a Buell S3 Thunderbolt, but presently nothing on the road, although I have a Commando rolling chassis and a complete Triumph T140V in bits in the basement.

Never owned a Japanese bike, although I have been mighty impressed by a few, and managed 165MPH one Sunday morning on a quiet M5 riding my ex brother in laws GPZ900R (and it still had more to go). :shock:

I inherited this Suzuki GT250 K at the beginning of this year. My father bought it new in 73, I've got all the original documentation. I think he dropped it once and stopped riding it not long after (last tax disc is 1976) and it sat in his dry garage ever since. Genuine 4300 miles. If it been a runner, I might have kept it, but it's really beyond my capability (and now my enthusiasm too) to get it going again. The pistons had seized. A pal and I did get the heads off and got the kickstarter to turn the engine, but now the bottom half seems to have seized as well. It's probably something that someone with desire and capability could breath good life back into though.

I'm therefore going to sell, but because I have slightly sentimental feelings about it, I'd like it to go to someone who will restore/renovate rather than just break for parts. Any guidance/advice re potential valuation and where to sell would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• suzuki 1 (Large).JPG
    suzuki 1 (Large).JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,501
  • suzuki 2 (Large).JPG
    suzuki 2 (Large).JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,501
  • suzuki 3 (Large).JPG
    suzuki 3 (Large).JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,501
Re:

wow! Rare to see an old 250 in that condition, most would have been thrashed to death by now. I think there are dedicated sites for Suzukis out on the web, also if you have Facebook look for a page called "keep two strokes alive" lots of people on there are mad about 'em! Shame I am skint or I would be in interested in that.

Good luck!

If only we'd have kept our bikes we've owned. Would be worth a pretty penny between us.

Not currently got a bike but learnt in the early 90s when tzr, nsr, rg, Kmx and dt's were the learner bikes.
Then moved onto a Kr1, rgv250, kx500 then managed to find an rg500.
Then followed xt550, gsx1100, gpx750, cbr600 and last bike being zx9.

Anything from early fireblade/R1 and older are my cup of tea :)
Even managed to talk my misses into allowing me to buy something like an old italjet trials resto project for our 3yr old apprentice mechanic.

Its only an old bike, you can have it working again if you believe you can. Same as anything, really.

Back