RC100 #162 - most bits intact

shame, but hardly surprising given the age and the over all condition.

would need a lot of work and even then its still going to be a dog eared example

Re:

That Flex-stem combo is very interesting - bodge or factory? Looks to be quite an involved 'cut-n-shut' on it with the old quill cut away and a stub and steerer added, certainly not the sort of thing that someone did in their garage (assuming they wanted to steer straight at least).

Re:

is that a vertical crack in the top of the head tub

I'm sure you will find cracks elsewhere, as is the nature of the beast, but I don't think the head tube is one of them...

They are very thick wall tubing and had heavy machining to give a good purchase to weld the square tubes to, the back of the head tube is almost square, as you can see from the attached

That Flex-stem combo is very interesting - bodge or factory?

Certainly looks like the original Stem/Steerer extension as it has the welded top ring to rest against the top headset cup, maybe put together the same time as the seat clamp replacement...

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 560
Re:

The head tube was a custom extrusion with flat sections on the back, I've heard (although might be wrong) it was sourced from 'Sweary Bob' at Spondon motorcycles who used it on the swinging arm pivots of their rather fruity motorcycle chassis kits.
Bottom of the downtube/headtube junction & the top of the seatstays/seatube junction would be worth a look though.

Re:

Spondon connection would certainly make sense, either way a beefy bit of tubing and one of the least likely to find cracks in

As for where you will find cracks...where should we begin :facepalm:

Re:

If anyone is looking for a nice RC100, mine might sadly be up for sale soon :cry: , ex-Dr S build on here, BOTY runner up from a long time ago.

Re:

Realistically what do people think it's worth as it stands?
This is the first 'high-end' bike I was aware of when I started riding, a guy I knew and rode with owned one so would regularly see it in action.

It's a parts bike-worth maybe £150 for the cranks, £50 for the forks, the rest maybe £100 and I'll buy the flex-stem for £20, so £320. Economically not worth the effort to get the bike going again; the frame probably needs welding and paint, the forks need painting, the brakes look shot & probably need new pipes, seals, pads, oil and other hardware. Then add new tyres, new bearings, new chain, new cassette, hubs and then the rims with the rusted eyelets and would you trust 25 year old bars that have lived a hard life?

I looked at it on eBay and fancied it for a brief second then I remembered my original rc100 cracked at chainstay to BB weld, and ten years later an RC300 did the same thing!

Back