RB being discussed wistfully and critically on FARCEBOOK

Re:

i'm not too worried, there are keyboard warriors everywhere on the internet and no one is saying anything particularly bad and even if they did it's their right to. i've had nothing but good times here but i know some people have had issues, whether it's a dodgy sale or whatever, if they find another outlet that suits them and they feel they fit in there then that's a good thing whether it's here or not. :)

Re:

Well said JB
Who cares what they say we are too busy enjoying what we do to care
I still get a kick from the odd comment though like ..."ooh pace carbon forks" or " cool Rocky Mountain "

Never get comments on my modern carbon full sus 29er (yes sorry, I do own one!), however on my last few trips to Bedgebury forest I was stopped and people wanted to talk about my bikes. Retro's have soul, style and the IT factor :)

People only criticise things they don't understand. I'm happy not everyone gets it, more gems available for the rest of us to find, restore, love and ride.

Don't agree. I don't see anyone one here as a dick or tit. Everyone is free to pursue their own hobby, the fact that most on here decide to restore, maintain and ride old bikes is neither here nor there.

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter but from what I understand from peers, work colleagues etc who are there has been a huge movement away from forums towards those types of social media.
It's a relevance issue I think.

Re:

I think there's a place for both. Even in the few years I've been on here I've seen the traffic ebb and flow. The Facebook page in question exploded onto the scene late last year and there was a lot of interesting stuff posted up and members include a lot of names from BITD. It has however already lost most of it's momentum, which is not to say there's not still some interesting stuff being shared. It's easy to upload photo's from your phone onto Facebook of course but it's a lot more fast moving and things quickly disappear into the depths of the page. It will never be the online community, encyclopedia and reference tool that Retrobike is.

John J":13cli1x6 said:
Well I'm pleased to hear that

Me to. You can never find anything of interest randomly posted even the next day on FB. Endless scrolling gives me a headache. This is an important resource and reference source.

So what's all this I hear about a site upgrade ?

All publicity is good publicity and boy does this site need it. It's all cyclical and I think it's fair to say we're in the low-wave part right now.

That said, the Facebook group is throw-away. It meets a need and that's fine: an instant gratification or fix. It has no substance though, partially due to the way Facebook and that sort of social media works, partially because the majority of what's posted is really pretty ordinary (again no bad thing but to many of us here, we've seen it all before (see my second sentence, it's linked).

It's nothing to get precious about.

Back