Raw Raleigh m-trax

Sunra13

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I recently picked up a raleigh m-trax, which i believe has titanium tubes bonded to steel lugs. I am a big fan of a raw finish and was toying with the idea of rawing then frame and clear coating.

I would like some thoughts on doing this as it is a mix of both steel and titanium ? Will the raw materials looks drastically different after rawing ? has anyone done this before ?

Im aware that rawing this frame might give some folks the heeby jeebies, so apologies in advance

Many thanks!

If you look at @boy"O"boy builds you’ll see how they look as he strips them first
Take a look at his endeavour builds to see how they look

You'd not need to clear coat the ti tubes, or lugs, but the rear end would need some protection or it will rust.

I have a similar frame which I am considering doing the same too. My quandary has always been how to remove the paint without affecting the bonding into the lugs? I think this rules out heat and chemicals? So probably good old hard work with abrasive papers?
Rich

If you look at @boy"O"boy builds you’ll see how they look as he strips them first
Take a look at his endeavour builds to see how they look
Cheers ibbz.

Yep. That's my Endeavour in it's raw state before I etch primed it.
I use Langlow strip away pro (after recommendation from here) - it doesn't effect the bonding. It was only on for 1/2 hr before I washed it off and scraped off the paint. Took a couple of coats though.
A point on the bonded lugs though. I'd always though that they were Aluminium bonded to steel tubes, turns out only the headtube is Aluminium - the rest are steel as they had developed surface rust overnight after washing off the stripper.
I've never lacquered a bare metal frame...interested to see how yours turns out.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Back