RatroRacer Mercian

Great job on the Mercian, looks great.
I know this thread is already a year old, but I just had to update it...

I won an auction for a (badly listed) Mercian last week on eBay - funny enough I was the only bidder :) I picked it up this morning from Wickford (around your corner if I'm correct Ralph-the-Rohan).

At first I thought it was a rebadged Carlton, because I recognised the crespera lugs from a 70s Carlton. But studying the pictures more in detail I came to the conclusion it were probably Haden lugs...

Looking at the bike in real life it definitely is a Mercian - a '79 Campionissimo. Not too happy with the components and the rear wheel is definitely a cheap replacement.

But more importantly the frame number is ???

I would love to hear if you still have the bike and once I have it back on the road it might be cool to get the twins together someday ;)

Cheers, Rogier

Attachments

• Mercian 79 Campionissimo.JPG
    Mercian 79 Campionissimo.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 701
A thorough session of elbow grease with t-cut, G3 etc will bring the paint up. Polish the metal bits all shiny shiny :)

531brazed":1mvh79s4 said:
A thorough session of elbow grease with t-cut, G3 etc will bring the paint up...

I am not familiar with these products - if I read correctly these are light abrasives which remove the top coat to remove scratches, etc... What is your experience with these on the long-term? Did you wax the frame(s) on a regular basis after a session of "t-cutting"?
I expect you didn't touch the transfers/decals with this stuff...

Very curious, as the frame is touched up in places with a wrong colour (red) - maybe this would be a perfect process to remove the red paint and bring back the original paint.

I do like a frame to show it's age / vintage by the way - altho I wouldn't mind to get this one back in a decent condition. Very happy to have found a Mercian within my tiny budget :D

Thanks in advance,
Rogier

They are both looking great.
Some colours are easier to touch up than others.
My King of Mercia is British Racing Green and it was primed in white. Its very well used and looks it. I keep saying I will get it painted but there is always something else that eats the funds. I did think of touching them all up but the amount of them it would maybe look worse, like a green leopard :)
I just t cut and wax.

Jamie

Re:

Midlife":1j3sfkf9 said:
Like stepping back in time :)

BITD I would have sold my kidney for those pedals... :D

Shaun

PS the outer chainring is not super record....Ofmega or a copy?

BITD it was only one kidney. You'd need to sel both now

@jamiedyer t-cut and wax is what I will do :) any advise on wax? What about the decals, t-cut around them? Ta

@JSH - I don't think Shaun will sell another kidney for some plastic MTB pedals :))

Re:

Hi Rogier,

That is absolutely amazing. Both our bikes could be twins and to think that mine was the very next frame to be numbered by Mercian is fantastic.

You probably can't tell from my pictures, but my frame has been touched up all over the place with what looks like various shades of Airfix or Humbrol model paints! I will never restore it though as I love patina and it's not a particularly rare or desirable Mercian model.

I still ride it to work on most days during the summer and it is a real pleasure to ride. I'm sure you will find yours is the same.

I look forward to seeing some more pictures as you change some of the components.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear you still have it and ride her regularly!
I agree with everything you say - I like patina as well, so definitely not in the market for a respray. I don't have the funds and as you said it isn't a top of the line model ;)

I think I am going to keep the Mafac Racer brakes, but ditch the Weinmann levers. I have some old 60s Mafac levers in the parts bin, so probably going for that.
Headset is Ofmega - original. I expect the SR stem and SR handlebars to be original as well, so keeping those. Brooks B17 will stay.

Not too sure about the driveline. Cambridge area is rather flattish, not even sure if I will go for 5/6 or 10/12 speed. There is a 60s Ofmega single fluted chainset on it's way (ebay purchase).
Have some Lyotard pedals, toeclips and straps in vgc as well in the parts bin.

I have some Normandy LF hubs laced to alloy Weinmann rims hanging in the garage (1976 or 197:cool: so they will go in the frame after truing and a good clean.

I would love to go the Campagnolo route as well, but prices these days... Maybe I will keep it functional, good quality and cheap :) As soon as I get started on it, I will either update this thread or open a new one.

Advice always welcome.

Ta, Rogier

Looking great, both of them.
Very cool that they are so closely related, brothers maybe?

Patina is good ;)
1992 King of Mercia

Jamie

Latest posts

Back