Raphael Geminiani - NOW SOLD

Re: Raphael Geminiani - a little progress

All those shiny bits are ready to be fitted. I decided to keep the sprints after all, they cleaned up beautifully and shod with new tubs I think they look pretty good.

Any views?

Attachments

• prog1.JPG
    prog1.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 636
  • prog2.JPG
    prog2.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 637
Re: Raphael Geminiani - a little progress

chickendrumsticks":2hbjj9yn said:
All those shiny bits are ready to be fitted. I decided to keep the sprints after all, they cleaned up beautifully and shod with new tubs I think they look pretty good.
Any views?
Well I like it, be nice to see the finished article

Re:

Thanks allenh

I like it too. I just think it's just not very interesting to most. I guess that our continental cousins may appreciate it more...

If it comes to selling I believe I could cobble together summat for ebay.fr but would need some help for ebay.it. Parlay Italiano anyone?

Finishing it soon...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Geminiani on the road

Complete (awaiting bling bling bar stops). Phew!

Attachments

• gemdun1.JPG
    gemdun1.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 522
  • gemdun 2.JPG
    gemdun 2.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 522
  • gem dun 3.JPG
    gem dun 3.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 520
  • gem dun 4.JPG
    gem dun 4.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 523
  • gem dun 5.JPG
    gem dun 5.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 522
  • gem dun 6.JPG
    gem dun 6.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 520
  • gem dun 7.JPG
    gem dun 7.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 520
Re:

Date is a bit sketchy to say the least. There is such a dearth of info out there that pinning date down is hard. I have frame number but without an I'D for the frame builder it is not much use on its own. There are several French suspects - Gitane, Mercier, Lejeune to name but a few, but as the bike claims to be "made in Italy" it just gets harder!
The best clue seems to be the crankset - it's an Ofmega Forgiato. According to sources it was in use in the 70s. Not sure of the Simplex derailleur model - that may help. Thanks Richard - you've set me off again!

Re: Raphael Geminiani - on the road

That's come out really good, a nice honest machine and I'd go for early to mid 70's as far as date goes.

Re:

As to maker, I have read your guide to French frames allenh but nothing strikes a very familiar note. Mine has stamped or pressed lugs which puts it at the lower end I guess. What are distinctive are the seat stays I think. They finish in a pretty sharp bullet point and don't have a too large area of attachment. Pics below. Praps they'll ring a bell?

Attachments

• gemstays1.JPG
    gemstays1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 485
  • gemstays2.JPG
    gemstays2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 485
Re: Raphael Geminiani - final touch

Bar end plugs - not to everyone's taste I know, but I love 'em! And two layers of cloth tape are nice and comfy.

Further to frame maker - a remnant of a 531 sticker was on the bike when bought. But I've measured the seat pin and it's around 26mm? So that rules out 531 probably, as I think in general it's 27.2mm? Perhaps I'll measure it again, properly this time.

Attachments

• final touch.JPG
    final touch.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 474
Re: Raphael Geminiani - on the road

Looks great. I don't think 531 is always 27.2.

Back