raleigh ritmo ...rebuild

Great restoration, inspires me to make mine as good! Can I use any metal polish (eg from halfords) to polish up parts on my bike or is there anything more specific?

I never polished anything in my life! (I'm 19 ;) )

Can I use any metal polish (eg from halfords) to polish up parts on my bike or is there anything more specific?

You can use the Halfords polish - I've used that on plenty of chrome/ally bits and they've come up nice. Personally (being a cheapskate ;) ) I tend to go with Silvo wadding from Home Bargains! Either way, it works.

The methods I used was..for the rims,calipers and similar small items,I gave the a rub with scotch brite 1st.if you don't know what scotch brite is,It's similar to a scouring pad,so you could use them.rub away with the pad and autosol paste.it will look clean but lightly scratched.then buff with a a soft cloth and more autosol paste.I also used a polished wheel in my cordless drill about 3 pounds off ebay.just keep going with the autosol and you should see results.on the crank arms I started with a felt/scotch brite polishing pad using a 4 1/2 angle grinder I shall add a photo of it soon.I used the grinder to blend and buff away any nicks and scratches then finished by wet and dry sand paper then autosol.don't bother and waste money on liquid polish,just use the paste every time.

Attachments

• IMG_2014080955515.jpg
    IMG_2014080955515.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 251
Back