Raleigh Record Ace 531c, 1983

nammonk

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For sale: Raleigh Record Ace 531c, 1983 --- SOLD

23 1/2" frame [60cm]

The sun has come out, so why not treat yourself to a classic British bike for those Summer Retro Rides? The Record Ace is responsive but sufficiently laid-back (73 parallel) to leave you feeling fresh and relaxed after a day's riding.

This bike is in lovely condition, with almost all its original components (down to the brake blocks and bar tape!). The "Ice Green" paintwork is in very good condition for its age, with a few scratches here and there, but nothing major, no significant rust, and no dents or dings to the frame. All bearings are good, wheels are straight and true, chain (Sedis) has miles left in it, and nothing is seized or rusted.

When it came to me a few years ago, the saddle had been swapped for a more modern vinyl coated one, so I have put on a suede Italia Sprint that came on my early 80s Hugh Porter. It currently has an early 90s Shimano freewheel, which has closer ratios than the original Suntour 14-28. However, I do have the Suntour (in very good condition) and would be happy to swap them over if required. The one missing thing is the original mudguards, which became brittle with age and cracked. I do have a silver pair off a similar age Falcon which I could put on if requested. The original brake lever hoods are still supple but have started to crack a little (I know how they feel); I have a pair of NOS no-name black ones that I would be happy to provide if you prefer function over authenticity.

On that last point: there is just enough reach in the brakes to fit 700c wheels. A nice lightweight pair of sprints (e.g. Super Champion on Record, which I could provide...) spice the ride up no end!

Spec:

Frame & forks: Full 531c DB, Suntour GS ends with mudguard eyes
Wheels: Normandy Luxe Competition on Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4", 36/36, DB spokes
Tyres: Michelin World Tour 27 x 1 1/4"
Gears: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport front and rear; Campagnolo friction levers
Brakes: Weinmann 605 + levers
Chainset: SR Super Custom, 170, 42/52
Freewheel: Shimano 6 speed [or Suntour 14-28]
Chain: Sedis
Stem: Raleigh embossed SR
Bars: SR Sakae Road Champion "England"
Bar tape: Original cloth
Seatpost: Fluted alloy, single allen key, 27.2
Saddle: Suede Italia Sprint
Pedals: SR quill

Lots of hi res pictures (including the 1983 brochure page) at https://picasaweb.google.com/1066681541 ... /RecordAce
I've tried to show the few slight blemishes to the paintwork and the condition of the components, but any questions, just ask.

I would like £225 for this, but I am always open to genuine offers. I'd prefer collection, but could be persuaded to box up if necessary.

Now sold.

Nick

Attachments

• DSC01900.jpg
    DSC01900.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2,977
  • DSC01899.jpg
    DSC01899.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,975
  • DSC01905.jpg
    DSC01905.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,977
  • DSC01898.jpg
    DSC01898.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,980
That'd be me. 36/36 Competition, currently on Record S/F hubs. From about 1977. Not NOS. One slight blemish in one rim, but fine to ride.
Are you looking?
Nick

I paid for this a while back and had it couriered to me. The plan was to send it on to a friend overseas, but that probably won't be happening now.

It's currently still sitting boxed up in my hallway, so if anyone is interested let me know.

I'll unpack it an take some more photos and list it properly again soon, but any interest in the interim, feel free to PM me.

Cheers.
Edit: Now advertised elsewhere.

Back