Raleigh M-Trax ti3000

crazydavey

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have acquired a purple/grey ti3000 version and the only original literature seems to be on RetroRIKE. The bike is not in good condition but I want to do up the frame so that it looks tidy. Problems so far: (1) Middle ring of Shimano LX chainset (FC-M563) is very severely worn. Temporarily, I can use a cheap square taper Shimano replacement but is it possible to find LX chain rings with 5 point fixing in 42-32-22? (2) The titanium tubes are scratched (ie, previous use of Crudcatcher on down tube!) plus other dings. The titanium tubes on my ti3000 appear dark grey (other unpainted Ti bikes - Enigma/Kinesis - are a lighter shade) and appear to be coated with plastic film. Has anyone else noticed this? There is one defect where the coating seems to peel back exposing a darker grey substrate below. I am concerned that I will have problems if I try to re-spray the ti tubes and they are plastic-coated - and I am reluctant to peel off such plastic. Any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received. Cheers!

Attachments

• Peeled-back film.JPG
    Peeled-back film.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 172
I had a Ti 2000 which I bought in 1994 for £525. The Ti tubes are basically laminated with plastic film. Mine were peeling off so I removed the film and the titanium went a dark grey colour. It reacts with oxygen so gets an oxide coating like aluminium except instead of being colourless, it's grey. In late 1997 the adhesive between the downtube and bottom bracket failed. The 15 year guarantee proved to be a con trick. The guy from Raleigh said too many had failed so they were using the clause in the deal where if you'd replaced a brake block or anything else, they had a get out. It was rather twangy to ride. Pattering the rear wheel off the ground over bumpy surfaces. I still have fond memories, though!

Thanks for the response and confirmation about the plastic laminate but sorry to hear about the failure of the glue on your frame. I had not heard of that problem but then I have only been interested in that model for the past 2 weeks.... I will try not to waste too much money on the refurbishment just in case I have a similar problem.

Back