Raleigh builds: Diablo, Mission, Encounter, Thunder Road

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have no fewer than 5 outstanding Raleigh frames back in the garage at the family home, and I'll be home for Xmas so I thought I'd build up at least one of them during the holidays. This thread is to share the progress of the builds, and also to gather advice on how to build each one from the assortment of parts I have to hand.

First, here are the frames:

Dynatech Mission with 531 fork
20160104_122540-e1451921215616.jpg

Dynatech Encounter with cromo fork
DSC_2935.jpg

Raleigh Thunder Road, with plenty of patina
20160104_122958-e1451921773345.jpg

Dynatech Diablo STX frame
$_1.JPG

M Trax Ti3000 with UGLI (photo from previous owner, I have frame, fork and mechs only)
file.php

The components:

Firstly, I have my prized 1993 Deore LX M560 groupset in mint condition, as well all the components from this bike (frame sold ages ago)
raleigh1.jpg

My existing Diablo STX could be split or have frame swapped out
20150723_090847.jpg

My NOS 1993 Exage groupset
I have shifters, brakes, mechs, and chainset.
(below is a catalogue scan hosted by Retrobike)
1993+-+EXAGE+ES.jpg

Wheels:
Parallax LX (black) wheels OK condition
1993 LX (black) wheels mint
Deore DX (silver) wheels good condition

Other notable components:
titanium Dynatech ahead stem
titanium one-piece bar/stem combo for threaded steerer

Initial ideas
1. Swap the Green Diablo STX frame for the white one, and ignore the fact that the stem and fork are the wrong colour.
2. Put the best bits (M560 groupset and wheels) on the blue / grey Dynatech Encounter.
3. Build the Thunder Road using an assortment of period correct left over parts.
4. The Ti 3000 probably deserves to get a roughly catalogue spec build which shouldn't be too much trouble.
5. Dynatech Mission? Not sure.

legrandefromage":23etw7kg said:
The thunder road will ride better than all of the bent, bonded, oversized frames.

Sorry!

I'm intrigued by the Thunder Road. With Reynolds 531 tubing it's certainly got class. Those glued Dynatechs with bent tubes also have 531 or 653 main tubes, though.

Re: Re:

terryhfs":1puipkn4 said:
The Thunder Road is a Cajun with Suntour kit and a different paint job.

Now that's a name I've never heard before. Let me google it :p

Edit, can't seen to find anything at all about the Raleigh Cajun.

That's a great collection of Raleighs. If you are ever thinking of selling the Thunder Road I would be interested in the frame and forks. I'm currently riding a very large 21-23" Mirage and it is fantastic. The larger steel frames are a great ride. The Mirage I have was in the family for many years and I didn't appreciate how good it was to ride. I had a 1992 Diamond Back Apex which was great but now that I have the Mirage built up with an LX groupset it is great on and off road. Good look with any builds and look forward to seeing them together.

Re:

Now that's a name I've never heard before. Let me google it :p

Edit, can't seen to find anything at all about the Raleigh Cajun

I had one! My Ozark frame broke and the Raleigh dealer swapped all the components to a Cajun. He gave me the Ozark frame so I had it repaired by Les Rigden in Brighton and sold the Cajun.

The Cajun looked like an Appalachian, same paint style, but it was blue and white.

This thread's made me realise I don't own a Raleigh any more... I feel wrong. Oh dear, I feel another bike coming on. Must...resist.

Re:

the white diablo is lovely , you cant split that

thunder road build for me the 501 frames are as mentioned , great to ride

get on with it then

mike

Back