Race Face Real Seal help needed

Has anyone had any luck replacing / servicing the bearings in these headsets? Are there any sealed bearing races out there that could serve as donors to revive one of these headsets? B5971502-34B3-426F-A094-B36F9DC82695.jpeg 40B14548-2212-4BF4-B2EF-27749F5D72AE.jpeg

If I were you I'd pick the seal of that cartridge bearing off with a fresh craft knife blade, flush it, dry it and then re-pack it with fresh grease. I suspect you might struggle getting proper purchase on the outer race to remove the bearing without destroying it?

Thanks both - I had assumed, wrongly, that those seals on the bearings were not intended for removal! I shall have a go at regreasing and repacking and report back.

As far as I'm aware, most sealed bearing seals aren't designed to be removed, but they usually can be, if you're careful.
Agreed they aren't, almost impossible to remove them without a tiny bit of damage to the lip of the seal but having done it countless times in the workshop for customers, its fine. Be sure to pack it with quality thick grease, my fav grease i've come across is Park Polylube - its thick, sticky and green - don't like it for hub bearings that need to spin quickly though as its very draggy, but being a headset, it's ideal for it.

Yes, I've done it, about 15 years ago. It's really no different to removing and pressing in any other bearing. There isn't a great deal of space for access to pull out the old bearing.
As I can't remember much about doing the job (and still have all my fingers) it can't have been that eventful!

I've tried the cleaning and repacking method ona few headsets. One was a king, the other I can't remember but something high end, American classic, white industries or something like that.

In both cases it didn't really help. If the races in your bearings are fine, I don't see why it won't help, but if the races are pitted or the bearings damaged then it's not going to help much.

I have in the past had to remove bearings that were pressed in but goosed and I can see more room under the ones in the race Face pictured to get a bearing puller, or cruder method to get the bearings out.

If you can then find the size, buy some decent quality new ones and press them in.

Back