R O Harrison frame model

Bova designs

Retro Newbie
Sadly I am not much of a cyclist especially now that I am in my 70's and not in the best of health.
I recently recovered a bike with R. O. Harrison frame from a deceased relative's cellar. I know it had been in that one persons ownership since the early 1960's. The frame number 213333 would indicate the frame was made February 1951 but I cannot be certain, from Internet searches, what model this is. Would it be a Lyta, a Madison or some other model. Anyone prepared to offer suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 26
@Bova designs
The commonly accepted decoding of R.O. Harrison serial numbers is fairly simple: one or two digits for month followed by 1 digit for year and the last 4 digits (don't know if he ever got to 5 digits by 1955, when he died) for a sequential frame number (from the beginning, presumably, in or about 1935). So according to that, your bike is, as you say, from Feb 1951, bike 3333 that he made. I hope that helps.
As to the model, the Classic Lightweights ( https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/classic_builders/harrison-r-o/ ) entry for Harrison has some catalogs, and they list specifics such as frame angles and wheelbase, along with other features, that might inform you in that respect. I have a ROH frame myself, and don't know the model for sure, but I'm feeling lucky to just own one! It's a wonderfully constructed frame, and very light for its size.
chas.wahl in NYC

Last edited:
Back