Question re. setting up home network in Windows 7

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The setup I have at home is as follows (and it worked for Windows XP):

Wired network: Cable broadband modem -> Main PC -> hub -> laptop.

Main PC has 2 network adapters - one for broadband connection in, the other for cable to hub out. Hub has cable out to laptop downstairs.

I just can't seem to get the laptop to use the main PC's internet connection. I've set up ICS on the main PC. Looking at the Windows 7 diagram I don't undertand the multiple networks thing and why is that 2nd one Unidentified and Public (I can't seem to change it)? When troubleshooting the internal network it says "Internal network doesn't have a valid IP configuration". It's set to dynamic. Should the 2nd adapter be static with 192.168.0.1 or something like that?

The laptop just shows an unidentified public network.

17tkja.jpg

Your life would be easier if you plugged the cable modem's LAN out into the router.
then linked thorough than.
Though not knowing your setup, mine many moons ago on NTL (now Virgin) I had the cable modem, that connected to my router via the LAN link.
The Router did all the DHCP server stuff.
No need for ICS.

Not sure why Virgin being the modern version wouldn't use a similar setup now.

Of course I'm assuming your 'hub' is actually a Router and not a hub(switch)

You may also find you need to go to your WinXP computers and change it's network group to WORKGROUPS from MSHOME. They switched it back with the newer Windows. (try this step first)*

The unidentified could be the 'hub' ?

Click on Full map to see what it may be seeing.

Err plenty more but get that out of the way first.

*found a link where it says Workgroup set it the same as window 7's , which by default is Workgroup :)
http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/07/10/ho ... indows-xp/

It is just a hub (switch), a Kingston KNE-8TP/S :( Both main PC and laptop are Windows 7 as well. Nightmare. Just don't know where to start. I had a tinker yesterdy and temporarily managed to sever my internet connection. Somehow managed to get it back. Not sure what setting caused that and not too keen to repeat. :roll:

Remove all connections in windows 7 on all computers and try again, I would scrap the hub and connect the cable directly unless it has to be there.

Have a read of http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... on-Sharing you never know

and eventually
Buy a Wi-Fi Cable Router for £15 to £25 +
Saves all the hassle and you can use WiFi with the laptop.

Shame my very old one went in the bin not too long ago.

ohhh Aero .

Back